Trip Report Socorro Real Time Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s nuts! Sorry to hear that!

What’s going on? Bad weather?
They never said the original issue but a ground crew later told us the initial delay was mechanical on the inbound plane. After they finally loaded us last night and left the gate, we sat awhile on the tarmac before the pilot announced he had “timed out” and headed back to the gate where we waited 30 minutes to be let off the plane. Next sent to a hotel 40 minutes from the airport for a shower and 3 hours sleep and back to airport.

Then my name suddenly disappeared off the flight list. Able to get myself back on. Still waiting to board, was to start 15 minutes ago. Don’t know what the delay is now.

It's only an adventure if something gets mucked up. We had a similar experience flying from Islamabad to Karimabad in Pakistan some years back. The capriciousness of local airlines is to be expected, I guess. Glad you all stayed safe.

Wait, just went back and saw it was DFW. Ignore the local airline comment. Glad to see the commercial carriers are just as much a mess. Lowering standards for everyone... sheesh.

Here are a few pics from the trip. A whale shark, chevron manta and a school of hammerhead sharks.

0E863471-2904-43BC-A885-76BFA868B936.jpeg

Attachments

• A460ECEC-CA66-47BB-9CB6-292348C1B95B.jpeg
    A460ECEC-CA66-47BB-9CB6-292348C1B95B.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 7688A345-2E89-4073-B807-CD2E3FD3331A.jpeg
    7688A345-2E89-4073-B807-CD2E3FD3331A.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 14A78483-8364-4D5B-BFC5-43604CD93210.jpeg
    14A78483-8364-4D5B-BFC5-43604CD93210.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 107
I forgot to replace my video light batteries when I went to Cabo Pulmo, so I didn’t use any video light and used red filter on a slightly greenish water, instead. I’m not quite happy with the results. Hopefully I can play with video editing later when I’m back at home. For now here are some snapshots of some of the Bull Sharks:

You can see the slightly greenish water in this picture, below:

View attachment 660598

Here is headshot of the Bull Shark with Pilot Fish on its forehead:

View attachment 660599

Here is one that has rusted away hook mark on the left side of its mouth:

View attachment 660600

Here is the Cabo Pulmo diving video

BTW, @Dan how was the boat? I have heard (read) good things about the Nautilus Belle Amie. Did she live up to her reputation?

BTW, @Dan how was the boat? I have heard (read) good things about the Nautilus Belle Amie. Did she live up to her reputation?
Yes. One of the best dive boat that I have ever been on. Spacious & quiet. I only heard wave crashing to the bow, during the bad weather, not the rumbling of engine noise, like most boat that I have been on. The crews are very organized and hard working people. Julio is a good cook.

Thanks for all these notes.

Very late to the party but ok, any trip where you see a manta on dive one is a pretty good trip. :) I have got to get to Socorro some time...

Here is my trip itinerary, including water entry times, dive sites, maximum depths (D), lowest water temperatures (in degree F) and visibilities (V):

Slide2.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom