Is there a hydro requirement on bank cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never heard of the hammer test, although now that I have it sounds like something I might want to do from time to time with my 3L oxygen cylinders. I've never managed to empty one completely on a dive nor do I hope to, but I'm always paranoid about water in a cylinder after I found some in an AL6 inflation bottle after I emptied it on a dive. Thanks for the useful info @Wookie .

I never heard of the hammer test, although now that I have it sounds like something I might want to do from time to time with my 3L oxygen cylinders. I've never managed to empty one completely on a dive nor do I hope to, but I'm always paranoid about water in a cylinder after I found some in an AL6 inflation bottle after I emptied it on a dive. Thanks for the useful info @Wookie .

they don't have to be empty to do it. It's similar to the hammer test used on train wheels. If it doesn't ring, there is a crack somewhere, guaranteed. If it does ring, it's probably fine structurally. Doesn't have to be a hard hit, you can do it with a bolt snap

they don't have to be empty to do it. It's similar to the hammer test used on train wheels. If it doesn't ring, there is a crack somewhere, guaranteed. If it does ring, it's probably fine structurally. Doesn't have to be a hard hit, you can do it with a bolt snap
And in the marine engineering business, it’s called a ring check. You don’t want to untorque and retorque engine foundation bolts, especially for 100,000 horsepower turbines. Instead you hit them with a hammer, and if they thud, you need to torque them. If they ring, they are considered still torqued.

The ring check is also used for grinding wheels to check for cracks before you bring them up to speed.
Almost the same can be used to tell if a tank is filled. Lift a tank about 4" above the floor (good solid concrete floor) and drop vertically. You will get a ring. Works even on aluminum. The more pressure in the tank, the higher the pitch of the ring. Comes in handy when filling a bunch of tanks and you are sorting out the half fulls from the nearly emptys.

I saw a reference above stating that OSHA requirement for DOT standards. Could you provide a link to back that up? It's nice to spread myths, better to spread facts. So far that is the only one that looks to have any impact to what this thread started life as. requirements for non-mobile banked cylinders. No arguing that hydro is a good practice, but have not established that it is in fact required.

For most of the industrial cylinders this is a non-issue. You use the gas provided, return the empty, gas supplier verifies the hydro is good before refilling. Since each fill sends the cylinder out for transport, DOT standards cover the inspection. Scuba tanks are the same way, they go out the door for transport and fall under DOT guidelines. But non-transported tanks are not under DOT guidelines. OSHA, sure. OSHA says they have to be chained up. But where is the CFR for inspection?

Good practice does not mean that is the requirement. Just because you, your shop. or your school does it, doesn't mean it is required to be done that way. Good practice, yes. But still not seen any evidence that it is actually a requirement of non-transported tanks.

But where is the CFR for inspection?

Good practice does not mean that is the requirement. Just because you, your shop. or your school does it, doesn't mean it is required to be done that way. Good practice, yes. But still not seen any evidence that it is actually a requirement of non-transported tanks.
Unless your shop extends over state lines there won't be one for stationary cylinders. Congress only has authority (via DOT) to regulate interstate commerce and the DOT packaging & testing specifications were written to that end.

Your state laws may cite DOT or CGA or ASTM requirements for stationary or "all" cylinders though.

Provide a link to validate your assumptions.

Seeing is believing.

Buddhist monks have endowed me with the power of observation, power of thought, power of suggestion.

-49 CFR Part 180.29(b)(iii)
-CGA Pam C-6 IBR 49 CFR 171.7

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom