Do you need a dive flag for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL.. ask Pete (dang, he changed his user name again!!!) about diving the Santa Fe in Gainesville and the importance of a dive flag.. :rofl3:

Personally, I start and end the shore dive with a flag, well most of the time anyway. Sometimes (well often) I attach the flag to a rock or some extra lead and wander around in between. No one except another diver is going to track your bubbles. Seriously, there are some places where a flag is good sense and some places where its just checking the box to avoid a ticket or an extra layer of protection. Boaters / jet skis don't respect the flag very much so you can't really rely on it. You need to be aware of your surroundings when you surface every single time Knowing where you are and avoiding a peek-a-boo to determine you location is essential. Shooting a tube before you surface in deep water is much easier than towing a flag around.
Florida's 327.331 states that:

(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of a divers-down warning device on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down warning device.
(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down warning device on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down warning device.

So you do not have to carry the flag all the time. You can dump it and hang around. I always attach a 2-pounder to the line for that purpose and it works well as an anchor. Off note, however, I had one dive flag stolen that way, at Dania Erojacks.

Two factors to consider. First is the law. If you are legally required to have one... there you go. Second is if you need one based on conditions. If boats aren't "normally" there, that means that sometimes they are, and with an area that shallow, I would carry one, even if it wasn't required by law.

I have been both almost run over, and ticketed for not having a flag.

When I was almost hit, I was freediving in an area that was very close to shore (like 20 feet) in between the shore and several rocky outcroppings. A boat had no business in that area, but it didn't keep the guy from running though there at high speed.

The ticket was entirely my fault, and was a "here's your court date" ticket, not just a fine. The max penalty in Hawaii was $10,000 and 10 years in prison! I didn't find that out until I was in court (pre-widespread internet days), and the judge even asked the DA to repeat the max penalty. He said "Murders get off for less than that! How about 100 bucks?" I responded, "Sold! Guilty as charged."
I got away with a warning at Kona Old Airport.

Not required by law in New South Wales for shore diving and I think not required anywhere in Australia. I think I have only ever seen dive schools using and spearfishers.

There’s a county park in Baraboo, WI - Devils Lake - that requires you to tow a flag when you dive there. Boat traffic isn’t much of a concern - only electric trolling motors allowed - but the conservation officers will ticket you if you’re diving without one. Doesn’t matter what time of year. Flag or ticket. Your choice. I’ve been told multiple times to not even think about diving sans flag.

Florida's 327.331 states that:

(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of a divers-down warning device on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down warning device.
(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down warning device on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down warning device.

So you do not have to carry the flag all the time. You can dump it and hang around. I always attach a 2-pounder to the line for that purpose and it works well as an anchor. Off note, however, I had one dive flag stolen that way, at Dania Erojacks.

That is so interesting! On Saturday, my hubby and I went shore diving in Venice, FL, looking for shark teeth and generally messing around. We had our dive flag with us as we were surface swimming out. I saw this boat coming toward us and commented to my husband about the jerk obviously not paying attention to our flag. Then I noticed the boat said Venice Police. The officer told us we were each to be carrying a flag! I politely explained my surprise, stating that I thought we had to be within 50-100 feet of a flag (to be honest, I wasn't sure of the distance but have never heard of every single diver carrying one!), and that with the visibility we were usually about 3 feet from each other. He asked if we had a second flag with us, and since we didn't he said he'd let it go this time, but to be sure we each had one next time. Then he pulled up to a group of 6-8 divers (looked like a class maybe) and talked to them. Not sure if they were allowed to dive or not, since the group had one flag among them. I'm still a bit floored by this. From what you posted, the statute says in this case, we just need to be within 300 feet of a flag, so one flag between us should suffice. Am I interpreting this correctly? Has anyone else had this experience?

He's full of it. AFAIK, there is nothing that says each diver must have their own flag..
I thought SE Florida was bad, Venice is worse!!!
Jupiter/Palm Beach, it is drift diving so flag on boat is all they use. Further south here in Ft. Lauderdale area, if diving off a commercial boat, each group gets a flag. I AWAYS have one beach diving... and still have seen prop wash..

Back
Top Bottom