No more flex covers !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The octo of one of my regsets is an Oceanic Alpha 7 with flex cover.
The original flex cover torn to pieces owing to age.
I replaced it with a generic flex cover. With time it also torn to pieces so I decided to 3D print a new one. The first try was with flex filament. The walls of the printed cover were too thick, so it resulted not so flexible.
I could get a Stainless steel spring from an old BCD valve and decided to 3D print a cover with a button instead of a flex cover.
The cover fits as a flex cover, but it's rigid with a spring loaded button.
The whole set has 4 printed parts, the spring and a SS M4 screw and nut.

Montado.png
IMG_6911.JPG

I've 3D printed it in ABS and I tested ok with a tank. Next try will be in the pool when this pandemic allow us to return to pools.
There are still some improvements I could do, but by the time it seems to work OK.

That is a work of art! I've thought of making covers based off of the old chrome Conshelf for regs with the flex covers, but you put the idea in motion and executed well. I look forward to hearing of the in water tests!

Respectfully,

James

Way cool! How about putting the ambient ports on the side, so you can swim into a current and not freeflow???

The way I designed the coupling is because I could not find here stainless steel Seeger retaining rings (3). It would be a much simpler design, like the Dacor cover. However, adding a Seeger ring to a printed part could be dangerous.
XLE 2nd Stage drawing.png

A further improvement would be to hide the nut and avoid the cap. but for this I need to pause the print, add the nut and continue the print, which, in the best case, is harmless, but, you know, Murphy is always there ready to spoil a nice print.
Another improvement would be to aviod the fastening ring (18) :
Captura de pantalla 2021-05-24 21.39.16.png

but the modifications are too much, as I should add a plastic washer between the cover and the diafragm.

For the center button you could just make the outer portion semi expendable.... Slightly undersized hole that the screw just self taps into.
Or do away with the screw and do similar to a g250: G250 Purge Button by James1979
Just ideas,

James

This is why I love ScubaBoard.
For the center button you could just make the outer portion semi expendable.... Slightly undersized hole that the screw just self taps into.
Or do away with the screw and do similar to a g250: G250 Purge Button by James1979
Just ideas,

James

A nice alternative.

The pool test finaly came after several weeks of estrict quarantine down here in Argentina. It worked as expected, great. No more flex covers !

A friend of mine came with a Mares Rover second with the flex cover broken. He saw my post and ask if I could adapt it to the Rover.
No more words and hands to work.

Attachments

• IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7928.JPG
    IMG_7928.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7932.JPG
    IMG_7932.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Captura de pantalla 2021-10-15 23.02.35.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-10-15 23.02.35.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 104
Keep this coming. I love this kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom