Is there a hydro requirement on bank cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True. However, that does not mean they are safe, that your insurance company won't deny claims, or you have any defense if you get sued when one fails.

An insurance company deny a claim!? :wink:

But why buy 6000 psi bottles? They hold less gas than 4500 psi bottles ( at 4500 psi). $800 each or for 4?

and, get them star stamped. Boom! 10 year hydro.

$800 for everything, includes 4 tanks and all the fittings to go with, and a whip with a regulator to adjust pressure out.

Do you know how many cf they would hold @ 4500? I think I could take them to 5000, I just didn't want to be too hard on my little compressor. So figure filling to 5000, but cooling to somewhere closer to 4500-4700.

But why buy 6000 psi bottles? They hold less gas than 4500 psi bottles ( at 4500 psi). $800 each or for 4?

and, get them star stamped. Boom! 10 year hydro.

what math are you using for that? Remember that Z-factor is significant at 6000psi at 1.2 vs 1.11 at 4500psi. Last I checked they were the same form factor as the 4500psi bottles so will hold roughly the same amount of gas. 510.5cf @6000->@4500=382.875*1.2/1.11=414cf, so that's close enough to the 444 that the 4500psi's are rated at and factors in the thicker walls

what math are you using for that? Remember that Z-factor is significant at 6000psi at 1.2 vs 1.11 at 4500psi. Last I checked they were the same form factor as the 4500psi bottles so will hold roughly the same amount of gas. 510.5cf @6000->@4500=382.875*1.2/1.11=414cf, so that's close enough to the 444 that the 4500psi's are rated at and factors in the thicker walls
Yup, your math and my math are quite close. 4500# cylinders hold 444 ft3, and 6000# cylinders at 4500# holds 415 ft3.

Yup, your math and my math are quite close. 4500# cylinders hold 444 ft3, and 6000# cylinders at 4500# holds 415 ft3.

That's pretty close. It was a fairly good deal (at least I think), and I can always go a little higher than 4500.

Thoughts?

That's pretty close. It was a fairly good deal (at least I think), and I can always go a little higher than 4500.

Thoughts?
It’s a smoking deal.

I was always under the impression hydro testing is required only for transportation. As far as I know if the tank stays in one place you can do what you want.

I think for those us that fill our own tanks...

(Clipped).

1. It's OSHA, or it's state counterpart that cares.
If you are a business, you need to comply with applicable standards.
That means hydro even if the cylinder is never transported.

2. If you are a private individual you can do whatever you want. Your own comfort with the liability is your business.
But if you never hydro or maintain a cylinder and it explodes, expect that to brought up in any lawsuit from anyone injured.

Personally I wouldn't want to put myself at risk for such a small saving. I like myself a lot, I don't want me dead or injured!

Is it required that bank cylinders that are immobile be hydro tested every five years?
I tried to bring up the same subject but was blocked from doing so. I'm glad you brought it to the fore. I think the scuba industry needs to move forward and use QR-coded labels or stickers. Relevant information: previous owner, present owner, in test, work history can be documented on a national scale by simply using an iPhone. There is conflicting information on safety since employees’ have a right to work in a safe environment per se; a recognized hazard would be to purposely hit a tank with a hammer.

I tried to bring up the same subject but was blocked from doing so. I'm glad you brought it to the fore. I think the scuba industry needs to move forward and use QR-coded labels or stickers. Relevant information: previous owner, present owner, in test, work history can be documented on a national scale by simply using an iPhone. There is conflicting information on safety since employees’ have a right to work in a safe environment per se; a recognized hazard would be to purposely hit a tank with a hammer.
A hammer test is a required test when filling cylinders in the United States that are allowed a 10 year hydro.

I invite you to sit back and learn something. It involves listening and shutting your pie hole.

A hammer test is a required test when filling cylinders in the United States that are allowed a 10 year hydro.

I invite you to sit back and learn something. It involves listening and shutting your pie hole.
Provide a link to validate your assumptions.

Seeing is believing.

Buddhist monks have endowed me with the power of observation, power of thought, power of suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom