Are zipties used for diving gear just regular zip ties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've noticed that zipties are used for securing various things, including securing your inflator hose to your bcd and power inflator.

Are these just regular, hardware store zipties, or are they specialty zip ties?

They look like regular zip ties, but I'd like to confirm that.

I'm putting together a "save a dive" box and am wondering if I can just buy heavy duty zip ties from the hardware store.

Regular are fine.

Just regular but I'd encourage getting colors other than the color of your gear. Makes it easier to confidently cut off when you have to replace a zip tie, and very colorful zip ties might reduce the chance of family members stealing them for home improvement projects.

You can get low profile zip ties, and a whole bunch of variants. The hardware stores don't carry them very often.

In addition to ensuring the zipties are all plastic, get better quality ones as the anti-reverse tooth that secures the ziptie on the cheap ones have a tendency to break when pulling the tie tight.

-Z

I have used cheap ones at work that are weak. If anyone knows which brand are the best quality, please share.

In general white zip ties are not UV resistant and are intended for indoor use - black zip ties are UV resistant and are meant for out door use.

Did not know that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom