BC Weight pocket balance strategies/neutral buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimEG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I’m looking to hear what strategies people may be using to pack their BC weight pockets. I’ve got a ScubaPro Go. The weight pockets have room for three weights. I recently moved from 14 lbs (typically 3+3+2 for each side) to 12 lbs. My most recent diving company gave me 3+3. I found that using only two weights threw my ballance a bit too much forward (because they were sliding to the front of the pockets). There were not enough 2 lbs weights (diving with a large group of divers; we were issued our weights for the week - won’t go into discussion about that ) to enable me to use three 2+2+2. So. What strategies are people using to keep weights towards the back of their weight packet? For example, I’m wondering about cutting a thick dish washing sponge to take up space where the third weight might be? I’m suspecting this might be relatively neutral in buoyancy, but since I’ve never done it I’m not sure. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

I also dive 12#, salt water, bathing suit.

I put on a weight integrated BC in the 1980’s and there’s been 6# rattling around in each pocket ever since.

Never thought it a problem.

I threw away the BC’s weight pocket plastic panel inserts with the weight retaining straps a long time ago. Seemed an unnecessary bother, but it would eliminate your concern.

The shifting of weight by 5” in whatever direction is generally “down” doesn’t occur very often.

When I go downsides-up, I feel them gently slide the 4.9” and.... nothing.

Hi Doc. Thanks for the comment. Helps me recognize I should add a little more info. We doing a night dive, and we’re forming a circle on the bottom, kneeling, so we could turn off our lights and watch the bioluminescence. I found myself a little off ballance forward. Not an issue when I’m prone, swimming forward etc. So it just is staying on knees, or standing upright (which was required for a shark dive, on a different day.

Hi. I’m looking to hear what strategies people may be using to pack their BC weight pockets. I’ve got a ScubaPro Go. The weight pockets have room for three weights. I recently moved from 14 lbs (typically 3+3+2 for each side) to 12 lbs. My most recent diving company gave me 3+3. I found that using only two weights threw my ballance a bit too much forward (because they were sliding to the front of the pockets). There were not enough 2 lbs weights (diving with a large group of divers; we were issued our weights for the week - won’t go into discussion about that ) to enable me to use three 2+2+2. So. What strategies are people using to keep weights towards the back of their weight packet? For example, I’m wondering about cutting a thick dish washing sponge to take up space where the third weight might be? I’m suspecting this might be relatively neutral in buoyancy, but since I’ve never done it I’m not sure. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
It depends on what system keeps them in place. Clips are the best. I leave 4 weights on the belt, and melt down the lead going into each pocket. I've seen a lot of novice divers putting all their weight into the BC to have them fall out in deep water. BCDs like Aqualung. Use a square sardine can to pour molten lead into it. Heat up the sardine can to prevent bubbles forming during the pouring of lead. Use a baked beans can to melt the lead.

The Go BCD has optional trim pockets which will give you the freedom to shift your weights in a more customized way. Check them out online.

I’m wondering about cutting a thick dish washing sponge to take up space where the third weight might be?

Excellent idea I do it, but with a far denser sponge from the sponge shop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom