Any downside in lapse of DAN membership?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I look at them as a deserving charity/cause. I would not cancel personally for a diving hiatus.

absolutely nothing wrong with the lapse. But I fully agree with the above. For the little they charge, they provide a great service to the diving community. If it won’t affect your budget, keep it going to support a good cause.

I've been laid up since February and am scheduled for some fairly major surgery mid-June. Needless to say I won't be diving any time soon.

My DAN insurance expires about now and I'm considering letting it lapse until I'm ready to get back in the water. Is there any downside to this plan? I don't care whether I keep the same DAN number, and I don't plan to be doing any travel that would make the medical evacuation coverage desireable.

Thanks.
I prefer DiveAssure over DAN.

Divers alert network (DAN) is a membership based organisation that also mediates insurances.
Why do you not pay for membership, supporting their great work, and add an insurance later?

If you decide to let the insurance lapse, do whatever is necessary to remember to reinstate. I believe there have been divers on this board that got bit in the butt because they forgot to renew, and then had a dive problem. I have not dived since Sept 2019 because of Covid and a surgery, but maintained my coverage throughout.

In a situation like this, wouldn't be better to retain membership and donate what you would have spent on coverage directly to them? That way, they get the funds instead of the insurance underwriter?

If my finances were iffy and I knew i wasn't going to dive, the very first thing I'd drop is DAN.
Yes they are great, but money talksand if the budget is tight things have to go.

Very interesting! In what languages and time zones do they offer their service?
Here's the answer: Hyperbaric chamber is free in Australia. Supporting DAN is irrelevant since most dive OW instructors are cue card readers.

Here's the answer: Hyperbaric chamber is free in Australia. Supporting DAN is irrelevant since most dive OW instructors are cue card readers.

Hi Scuba Client,

I have the following comments re your first sentence.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is only publically funded in Australia for "eligible persons" who choose to be treated as public patients in a Public Hospital. Eligible persons include particular groups of Australian residents, and visitors from NZ and a number of European countries. If you are not an "eligible person" and wish to be treated as a public patient in a Public Hospital, you will need to be insured. For example, I recently dived with a diver who is an American citizen working in Australia - he advised that his purchase of insurance included hyperbaric oxygen therapy services.

I discovered the above about ten years ago when I did a technical diving course. One of the course pre-requisites was the purchase of insurance cover for hyperbaric treatment which was going to cost about 500AUD. I researched up the matter online and was able to argue to have the pre-requisite waived in my case.

Also, you will need insurance for ambulance services (both road and air-based transport) because these are not free for most "eligible persons", and which I have personally found to be expensive.

For your information, I was a subscriber to the local DAN organisation from 1994 to 2014 and decided to cease the subscription for the following reason. The basic insurance provided with the DAN subscription did not cover diving activity within 80 kilometres (i.e. 50 miles) which makes up most of my diving activity. The cover for the diving activity within 80 kilometres would need to be an extra purchase. In effect, I would be paying extra for services that I am already entitled to as a Australian citizen.

Hi Scuba Client,

I have the following comments re your first sentence.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is only publically funded in Australia for "eligible persons" who choose to be treated as public patients in a Public Hospital. Eligible persons include particular groups of Australian residents, and visitors from NZ and a number of European countries. If you are not an "eligible person" and wish to be treated as a public patient in a Public Hospital, you will need to be insured. For example, I recently dived with a diver who is an American citizen working in Australia - he advised that his purchase of insurance included hyperbaric oxygen therapy services.

I discovered the above about ten years ago when I did a technical diving course. One of the course pre-requisites was the purchase of insurance cover for hyperbaric treatment which was going to cost about 500AUD. I researched up the matter online and was able to argue to have the pre-requisite waived in my case.

Also, you will need insurance for ambulance services (both road and air-based transport) because these are not free for most "eligible persons", and which I have personally found to be expensive.

For your information, I was a subscriber to the local DAN organisation from 1994 to 2014 and decided to cease the subscription for the following reason. The basic insurance provided with the DAN subscription did not cover diving activity within 80 kilometres (i.e. 50 miles) which makes up most of my diving activity. The cover for the diving activity within 80 kilometres would need to be an extra purchase. In effect, I would be paying extra for services that I am already entitled to as a Australian citizen.
Yes, I could have been more specific. All you need is Ambulance cover. But emergency hyperbaric treatment for scuba divers is free for Medicare card holders in Australia. Hyperbaric therapy for individuals is a different matter. I use DiveAssure since it allows several days cover. I never use insurance for recreational dives. Most foreigners would have some kind of insurance, although I never insure against anything beyond my control unless diving technical since some guides will make it mandatory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom