Is there such thing as a simple point and click?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will need light
Majority go with strobes (flashes)

I've got a tg6, housing, and two arms connected to a video light

Most of my photography is macro to close ups

Have gotten excellent footage considering it's an every level camera and video lights

Plus, a solid fort five minutes of post processing

P6110044 (1).jpg
P6110031.jpg
P6110077.jpg
P5151251.jpg
P5151242.jpg
P5081056.jpg

Hi everyone! I love looking at all of your beautiful photos, thank you for sharing!

At this point I don't want to invest in a bunch of equipment. Its less about the money and more about all the gear needed. I love the unencumbered experience of being in the water.

And I'd like to take a few photos every now and then.

Is there such a thing as a simple point and click that doesn't need a big case or strobe,and that can go to 80' or so?

Thanks!
What do you want to the camera to do? If it's just for mementos and showing your friends/family that you really did see a shark or moray, then one of the cheap action cams that comes with a housing is fine. I have this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9M4NPB - but there's a bunch that are similar. I tied a bolt snap to the housing where the holes for the mounts are and normally leave it clipped off to a D-ring.

Here's an idea of the kinds of shots you can get with this $60 setup. You obviously aren't likely to be hanging these on your wall. But the dolphin picture is exactly why I carry this. There were 6 divers and a guide and I was the only one with any sort of camera.

ANMP0013-1.jpg

ANMP0182-1.jpg

That sealife micro is pretty simple.

Unfortunately the sensor is SUPER tiny. The discontinued dc2000 had a 1" sensor. The micro has a 1/2.3 sensor. here's a chart to compare. If you can find a used dc2000, it's a heck of a camera.

H3l5Bec6VJeffroIdeD4GB3vopeo74JLZ2v30G7H-myXGnqFUc4yfWjPTbWwPssV1Qas1TuFol4T5Y-sgdZUpBgmVmwHujSH.jpg

At this point I don't want to invest in a bunch of equipment. Its less about the money and more about all the gear needed. I love the unencumbered experience of being in the water.

Is there such a thing as a simple point and click that doesn't need a big case or strobe,and that can go to 80' or so?

I think this description is a good use case for the paralenz.

You can research the +'s and -'s for them. So far I've been happy with the Paralenz. I attached a bolt snap to the end of it and clip it off like a backup light, and generally forget about it unless I see something I want to take a clip or photo of.

You'll likely hear people say the paralenz is overpriced, batt life isn't good enough, etc. It's all accurate, but if you're only looking to take occasional clips, and want the convenience of not needing a housing or filters, not needing to do post-processing to get basic decent looking footage/pics, I think it's the best device out there for that use case.

I think this description boils down to two choices:
  • Action cam like a gopro in a housing + a few basic filters
  • Paralenz Vaquita (more expensive, but similar in quality to an action cam and you won't need filters or a housing).
You can research the +'s and -'s for either option. So far I've been happy with the Paralenz. I attached a bolt snap to the end of it and clip it off like a backup light, and generally forget about it unless I see something I want to take a clip or photo of.

You'll likely hear people say the paralenz is overpriced, batt life isn't good enough, etc. It's all accurate, but if you're considering the convenience of not needing a housing or filters, not needing to do post-processing to get basic decent looking footage/pics, I think it's the best device out there.

I've always wondered, though... How do you know what you are filming without a screen? Do you get a lot of half-frames?

oh. the vaquita has one, albeit tiny. nevermind.

Hi everyone! I love looking at all of your beautiful photos, thank you for sharing!

Thanks!

Did you find what you were looking for? Like others, I have a Sea Life camera that I'm very happy with. IIRC, it only goes to 60 ft. without the enclosure, but will go down to 300 ft (maybe more) with the enclosure. I do use it with a dual light kit. The entire setup wasn't cheap, but was far less than the enclosure would be for my Sony Mirrorless (that enclosure was $4,000).

If you're interested in the Nikon that Marie13 mentioned, I actually have one of those that I put up for sale last week. Mine is orange. I used it for 2 short trips when we were still snorkelers. Great little camera, but I wanted something with bright lights for deep dives and cavern dives. (I've been interested in photography since high school, so I tend to buy new gear fairly often.) Message me if you're interested and I can send you the link to where I have the full description. (I put it up on Nextdoor thinking that someone local might be interested.) I have a soft case for it plus extra batteries.

Otherwise, I do really recommend the Sea Life cameras as an alternative to a big rig setup. I went that direction not only because of price, but also because I'm really afraid that something will happen to my expensive mirrorless setup. Plus, the Sea Life is easier to travel with since I also take my own dive gear. If you have an iPhone, Sea Life makes an enclosure for that. Wish they had one for my Samsung phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom