Service Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScubaPanda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone,

What would be the important information to log when performing gear self-servicing.

For now I keep the following:
  • Date
  • Brand
  • Model
  • Serial #
  • O2 clean (always no)
  • Remark
  • Next Service date
Anything else would make sense ?

Depends on what the item is...

Does it have any Facotry specs of adjustment?

Does it have any regulatory bodies determining if it can be legally re-used (ie commercially filling scuba tanks)?

I keep logs for my regs and tanks... tanks are quite thorough and formal (ie, page long inspection report post inspection), whereas the regs are less formal with a service date and pressure and any other notes I see handy (maybe new wear or damage since last service).

_R

Intermediate Pressure and notes (solid pressure or creep to pressure).

Things to keep an eye on: maybe it doesn't need service yet, but it's been a while since.

I am self servicing. I'm not concerned about any legal concern, only for my own knowledge. Like being able to go back in time and see if there was any issue last time, or anything worth noting.

I'll add IP and solid/creep pressure.

I find keeping regulators moist from use greatly extends the service interval
also the lack of motivation to strip them down too much whilst always diving

Yes:
  • 1st stage IP and creep
  • 2nd stage cracking
  • Both before and after service
  • Parts replaced or only cleaned
  • Number of dives if known
The first 3 bullet points give some pretty hard evidence that the concept of "service interval" is abstract and/or designed to milk the customer. I've got gear going on 10 years that still test perfect as per couv's
Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

I like to note why I serviced it. The manufacturer of my regs specifies a service interval of two years or 100 dive hours, whichever occurs first. So I include in my service log whether I serviced it based on years between service, dive hours, or a problem that arose between service intervals.

@Zung How do you measure: 2nd stage cracking ?
Thanks a lot for the checklist :)

@Lorenzoid oh that's a very good point, I'll start doing this :)

@Zung How do you measure: 2nd stage cracking ?
Thanks a lot for the checklist :)

@Lorenzoid oh that's a very good point, I'll start doing this :)
Cracking pressure is normally measured using a magnahelic gauge that actually measures the vacuum pressure needed to open the second stage.
If you don't have access to one a ruler and a sink can be used. Fill the sink or even a bucket with water. Hold the reg face parallel to the surface of the water and at the same time, hold a ruler on the reg with a reference you choose on the seam between the faceplate and the reg body. This is where the face of the diaphragm is also often located. Slowly lower the reg into the water and note where the second stage opens and begins to deliver air.
This is the cracking point measured in inches or mm/cm of water depending on the scale used.
Some mfgs suggest an intial cracking pressure of 1 to 1.2 inches of water on a newly serviced reg. This allows for the seat to develop the groove or take a set as it's used. The cracking pressure will drop slightly as this happens. If you set it lower to begin with and don't take the time to break the seat in and adjust it, it may drop top where it has a slight freeflow all the time. Not a huge deal on a reg with a breathing adjustment knob as you can just dial the knob back, but it can be a pain in the butt.
On regs that don't have the knob, you may have to remove the hose and adjust the orifice.
You can also build a mag gauge using clear tubing, a board, and a scale (ruler) to measure the pressure. Fill the tube partway with water and watch the drop as you inhale. This requires putting one end of the tube in the mouthpiece so that the suction is measured. I poke a hole in the side of a mouthpiece that I only use for servicing and stick the tube in it from my magnahelic gauge and it works just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom