Flight from Cancun to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Trying to figure out how to get from Cancun airport to Cozumel. Mayair is a regional airline that supposedly flies between Cancun and Cozumel, but their website has been out of commission for weeks and they don't answer the phone or email.

Any advice as to the easiest way to get to Cozumel?

Taxi to playa del Carmen ferry to Coz? Is there a Cancun to Coz ferry

Just read that a taxi from airport to playa del Carmen will run $75 I think the ferry might be another $25

upload_2021-6-11_11-13-49.png

Taxi to playa del Carmen ferry to Coz? Is there a Cancun to Coz ferry

Just read that a taxi from airport to playa del Carmen will run $75 I think the ferry might be another $25

Yeah, for those tourists that have a sign plastered on their forehead that says:

"I'm a pigeon".

Don't blame me, I just googled it for the dude. That was the first result, I'm sure if I wanted thru a couple thousand results I might have found Jose Ramirez's super cheap playa shuttle for $25.

But I'm flying direct to Coz in 18 days so not really vested.

In the past ( multiple trips in the 20-teens ) the cheapest way to get there was the ferry from Playa Del Carmen.

Based upon those trips, if I go again, this is how I would do it:

1) Fly into Cancun Airport

2) Use a shuttle to get to Playa. Haggle with drivers or curbside reps for lower rates.

3) Rent a cheap hotel in Playa Del Carmen for the night. This gives you a buffer.
If you count on everything happening on schedule, then one delay or mistake can wreck your plans. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong.
. A) Your flight may be late.
. B) Getting out of the airport took us five hours once. Employee strike? Bomb threat? They wouldn't tell us. Stand in line, gringo, and shut up.
. C) If your luggage is lost, the airline can easily get it to you the next day in Playa. Not so if you are already in Cozumel. A fellow diver told me it took three days to get his luggage to Coz on a previous trip.
. D) Some ferries may be canceled without notice. Those that do run may have schedule changes without notice.

4) Take the ferry across. ( Haggling doesn't seem to work here ) The last time that I went, the ferry operators wanted everyone to stash their gear up in the bow, and then come back in to the cabin, leaving tens of thousands of dollars of scuba gear unguarded. So meet other divers while you are standing in line to get on. That way you can keep an eye on each other's gear.

5) Hire a guy with a cart to transport your luggage - and maybe you - to your hotel. There are lots of them hanging around when the ferry arrives. Haggle, of course.

ADO bus from airport to playa. cheap and easy. short walk from bus station down to the ferry peir. take ferry to coz. then walk or taxi to hotel. done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom