Basic mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are tempered glass and fit you well. I would just buy a few more of that exact mask, even if I discard whatever other items come in the kit. A dozen of them if you have a non-standard face shape, just to have a stash in case they discontinue making them.

Yes, there are inexpensive "scuba" masks in the market with impressive sounding brands, but the one and only difference between a good mask and a useless one, is how they fit in your face.

All masks eventually fail, some faster than others. What good is one that will last 50 years/10000 dives if it doesn't fit right.

Thanks, that helps. I was thinking that, but didn't know if I was missing some killer feature.

Aside from brand pricing, the value of a mask is in the grade of silicone for the skirt and the construction. Many of us prefer frameless masks as they sit closer and have less internal volume, thus easier to equalize and clear. The softer skirt usually makes for a better seal and increased comfort, but not always.

For all of my dives, both pre-cert (3 discovers) and post cert,I have only used the masks we had from snorkel sets from Costco. We had four sets for the whole family. They seem to fit well, don't leak if I get them on right, seem comfortable. I lost one (stupid rookie mistake), and busted a strap on one (could be easily replaced, but otherwise they work fine. These are usdiver branded. My question is, is there a reason to not just get a new set (for $30) and basically toss the snorkel and fins, or is there something I am missing with some of the much more expensive masks out there?

Since I have only used these, I am not sure what I am missing. Most threads about mask, just say to get the one that fits.
I would personally ditch the snorkel or get a folding one to store in your BC or pockets. As the others have stated, cost means nothing if the mask doesn't fit. I would recommend black and low volume skirting. The clear masks yellow over time, especially if they're cheap. Food grade silicone grease around the lip section can help seal leaks.

The silicone on the cheaper masks from Walmart, Dicks, Costco, etc is often stiffer and will get more so over time.
The masks your LDS sells are likely made in the same factory in Taiwan using a different grade of silicone. I often look for brands like XS Scuba, ScubaMax, or small gear company names (Edge/HOG) because they have the same mask the big guys do with a different badge.
Markup on masks can be 50-200% depending on the badge and shop.
I used a panoramic for years that Oceanic sold for MSRP of 79 bucks. My ScubaMax version was 59. Then I got to work for the shop. Dealer cost? 19.95 - 21.95 depending on the tier they were at in pricing.
My current is a SeaVision that was $39. Then I had to add the 250 dollar bi-focal lenses.

Back
Top Bottom