Hand Press for Poseidon Cyklon Second Stage . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Scuba Clinic, of Thailand, has come up with a lightweight (210 gram), comparatively inexpensive (about US 70.00) alternative to Poseidon's 1.3 kilo, multi-hundred dollar "Assembly Tool," — both aimed at simply installing a 1.5 gram “locking ring” on a Cyklon second stage.

It is composed of three, nested POM (acetal) components -- one, to hold the regulator pieces in place, with a well for the stem of the inhalation diaphragm; a second ring, which fits upon the outer membrane housing, where the locking ring is placed; and a plunger, designed to install it in place.

It actually works quite well, though it initially took three tries, to get the ring seated properly, since it took a good deal of compression, to get things into place — beyond the initial "slight click" mentioned on the Scuba Clinic site. Think of it — for those familiar with the original Poseidon product — as just that initial, though not the final click of the “Assembly Tool” during the installation process.

Given the choice, I would rather not have to service a Cyklon, out in the field; but it is still quite nice to finally have something portable for a travel kit, should that it ever become necessary.

Oddly enough, Poseidon once offered something similar, in their European catalogues, about a decade or so ago . . .

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2641.JPG
    IMG_2641.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for the review. I have been using a blunt pick from a dissecting kit to push the retaining ring into place, which works but takes time and significant effort. The hand press is now on my wish list.

Thanks for the review. I have been using a blunt pick from a dissecting kit to push the retaining ring into place, which works but takes time and significant effort. The hand press is now on my wish list.

I had a friend who could do all it by hand; but that technique always involved some blood-letting and colorful language on my part . . .

I was lucky enough to get a real press from Northeast Scuba Supply a few years ago for pretty cheap and when Scuba Tools sent me an email last week that they finally made one *I had requested it a few different times* I had to grab one. Don't think it will ever replace the beast, but nice to have a spare and a small one

I recently rebuilt a few Cyklons and have retaining ring installation by hand down to a 1 minute process, paying attention to avoid the pick slipping into one of the cover holes and puncturing the inhalation diaphragm.
20210726_232530.jpg

I recently rebuilt a few Cyklons and have retaining ring installation by hand down to a 1 minute process, paying attention to avoid the pick slipping into one of the cover holes and puncturing the inhalation diaphragm.
View attachment 673140

This is how I would do it for a one or two reg personal situation but the Thai tool looks like a pretty handy tool for doing multiple Regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom