Ramons Dive shop Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to Ramons on Sunday May 29th and wanted to know if anyone that has been there in the past couple
of years could tell me what to expect from the dive shop.

1) Keep gear in lockers by the boat? or lug it back to the room?
2) Do they rinse and store gear after the dive day?
3) My wife would like to remove her BC before boarding the boat after the dives, would that be a problem?

and other tips would be great,

Thanks,
Russ

I'm heading there in 2 weeks and asked the same questions of them. They answered that gear lockers are provided at the dock. I can't imagine that they don't have rinse tanks but I never asked.

How was it? I'll be there in a week! I also like to remove my gear in the water. Any good restaurant recommendations?

Just got back. The resort itself is very nice. Everything was well kept in the rooms and on the grounds. The restaurant there (Pineapples) has good food at a fair price. You walk down the beach in either direction and find a few other fairly good spots for food also. The town of San Pedro is on the "3rd world side" of the spectrum but I didn't have any trouble walking around during the day and only came across one panhandler...far fewer than San Francisco.

The dive operation is top notch. They clearly have a lot of money tied up in boats which are in very good condition. The divemasters give a good safety briefing customer service and safety are a priority. I made a trip to the Blue hole which is an all day, 3 tank dive. They use their largest boat and the trip out leaves at 6AM and takes 2 1/2 hours. They feed you pastry and fresh fruit on the way out for the 1st dive (the Hole). That dive is well planned and no one can deviate. 8 minutes at the 130' depth and diagonal ascent to a 5 minute safety stop. Total dive time will be about 25 minutes. Then they move to Half-Moon key for the second dive. This was probably the best dive of my trip, great clarity and sea life. After drive #2, you dock on Half-Moon Key and they feed you lunch and go for a short roam around the island. Re-board the boat and a short trip to dive #3. More fresh fruit after the dive and head back to Ramon's arriving around 4:30PM.

The weather during my stay was windy and the visibility suffered on the inner reefs during most of my other dives but it was still worth the trip. Nurse sharks on every dive and larger reef sharks out at the Hole and Half-Moon Key. Quite a few turtles and a couple of Spotted Eagle rays. Dolphins on 2 of the dives.

The resort has a COVID tester come in to get you back into the U.S. Talk to the desk for times. $65 for the test but if you stay more than 4 days, they pay for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom