Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting so close now. I have a question, though... when mounting the plate should I use the upper holes or the lower holes on the wing? I'm 6'4" and not sure which way to go. Thoughts, discussions, ministrations?

Getting so close now. I have a question, though... when mounting the plate should I use the upper holes or the lower holes on the wing? I'm 6'4" and not sure which way to go. Thoughts, discussions, ministrations?

It’s all about the cam band slots in the wing aligning with the plate. Some wings have smaller slots than others, some none at all and wings like the DiveRite simply have of couple strips of webbing. So make sure you can thread the your cam bands without interference. If clearance isn’t an issue I seriously doubt you would ever notice the effect of using one series of holes over another in the water.

got it. thanks.

I like to nestle the crown of the tank right up against the top of the wing. Putting the wing higher on the tank means putting lift under, well, nothing. Putting the wing lower means the top of the wing potentially is getting sorta pinched between the tank and the back plate, not allowing it to achieve its full lift.

Once the wing is where I want it on the tank, I position the BP to be where it needs to be to sit in the right spot on my back and have the tank at the right height (usually, so I can just barely touch the back of my head to the 1st stage regulator if I *really* try - or close to that).

At that point, the holes line up wherever they line up. If they don't line up just right, then adjust for the best compromise (to fit ME).

Only you can really figure out for sure what arrangement works best for you. To ME, the litmus test is whether I can get in the water, get in flat trim, and stay there without having to scull my fins to keep my feet up (or down, as the case may be). If not, then some weight somewhere needs to be shifted up or down (or gotten rid of - being overweighted will definitely throw off your trim).

The only "right" answer is what works for you, with your body, your gear, and your exposure protection.

I already answered in your PM, but I wanted to answer here too in case others reading might have the same question.
If you’re using Oxycheq (which you are) or DGX or VDH wings then use the lower set of holes on the wing (top and bottom). You might have to wet down the center panel and stretch the wing to get 11” center holes to line up. Those wings have a tendency to tighten up when they’re sewn and dry.
Another way is to line up the wing slots to the plate then see which holes are close enough to bolt up.
I have it designed so that the top of the plate comes to about the top of the center panel of the wing right where the inflation tube starts, so the top of the inflated donut is above the top of the plate. This puts the holes at the lower set.

Interesting that the top holes lined up for me. I guess I'm just going to need to get it in the water to figure out what's most comfy.

Pool time next week!

I have been looking for a link for Ordering the Freedom plate but have not had any luck could someone help me out.

Back
Top Bottom