How do you know if they’re competent instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The moderator changed it.
You started a thread talking about cave diving in the New Divers forum. It was moved to Cave Diving, as should be.

Again: In what respect do you think cave diving is relevant for new divers?

Or he is simply a troll.
Or not a troll, but maybe a kid, or someone pretending to be more experienced than they are.

And so, once you have worked hard to gain the student's confidence through technique and experience, you will never see the student again, assuming the student who trusted you follows your advice and never takes a class from you again. I think almost any reader would see the self contradiction in this one paragraph, but it leads us to the main self contradiction--the author himself.

When Scuba Client first appeared on the scene, I took his posts seriously and tried to respond seriously. He was first talking about technical diving issues, trying to come across as an expert. Unfortunately, though, his replies indicated a lack of understanding about some of the most basic of technical diving issues. Similar experiences followed. "I'm a real expert, and here is a statement that real experts will see is nonsense."

The staff obviously thought something was amiss, which is likely why he was banned. Except,as statements from staff in this thread indicate, his baffling posts were not violations of the ToS. There were times he (???) even appeared to be trying to be helpful. At other times, his comments, like the first one in this thread, were simply baffling.

Which brings us to the primary contradiction. The first sentence in this quote says "The first thing I establish with students is trust; and you achieve trust by being honest and straight forward." Well, he (???) has been anything but honest and straightforward on ScubaBoard, which is why so many people are baffled by his posts. I suggest ignoring until such a time that "honest and straightforward" comes to the fore.

I wasn’t sure whether you were writing my obituary or your own victim impact statement. I gave everyone ample opportunity to present their side. Yet, all the insidious detractors preferred a negative spin; a true reflection of their weak and immoral character. In future, try to articulate facts that are circumstantial instead of presenting fiction. There is no obligation on my part to answer questions, nor do I need to justify my opinion. Freedom of thought is everyone’s domain. Your query on the MultiDeco: VPM - B + GFS, which you seriously discredited, did in fact implement gradient factors which were checked and correct. I stand by my claim: never train with the same instructor twice. As for being honest and straight forward, ask yourself whether double standards are being overlooked by the moderator.

It does not seem as if you have been "honest and straight forward" in your first, very short, post starting this thread. That contradicts what you are espousing here as the basis for people to trust a person.
[Mod EDIT]

What does this have to do with anything?

What? Asking questions makes sense. That being related to your instructor having intuition does not.

So your posts here seem mostly noise to me.

Metaphors used similar to symbolic representations: U.S. eagle clawing arrows and an olive branch.

You started a thread talking about cave diving in the New Divers forum. It was moved to Cave Diving, as should be.

Again: In what respect do you think cave diving is relevant for new divers?

Perhaps that question should be put to the moderator first? I would have preferred it was left there. Cave diving is relevant to novice divers by virtue most cave instructors are OW instructors. Who would you prefer to teach the OW class, an Instructor with no real experience, other than reading off cue-cards or a cave Instructor?

Perhaps that question should be put to the moderator first? I would have preferred it was left there. Cave diving is relevant to novice divers by virtue most cave instructors are OW instructors. Who would you prefer to teach the OW class, an Instructor with no real experience, other than reading off cue-cards or a cave Instructor?

Most cave instructors I know of are busy teaching cave classes and are not filling their schedules with ow classes.

This got weird but, wow, the vocabulary is exemplary.

Of the dozen or so cave instructors I know personally, none have taught an open water class in a decade. I would take the new instructor fresh out of the fryer with everything new in their mind.
Open water is difficult to teach when you specialize in advanced level training, you tend to gloss things that you forget aren't common knowledge to the brand new open water diver.

Most cave instructors I know of are busy teaching cave classes and are not filling their schedules with ow classes.
If you read the bottom line on one of the hypocrites who posted, you will realize how flawed their logic is.
I'm just a guy who likes to dive. A lot.
Open and closed circuit tech instructor in Detroit

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom