Any news on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B
It was forunate that the boat wasn't packed with divers. I wonder if it was dropped on the valve? Hopefully it didn't just go because of age and neglect.
Bilge explosion from fumes not tank valve per the workers at the marina. Captain should be OK.

It was forunate that the boat wasn't packed with divers. I wonder if it was dropped on the valve? Hopefully it didn't just go because of age and neglect.
Knocking the valve off a full tank won't make it explode but it very well could take off like a rocket.

The video doesn't show anything burned though.
That type of explosion will be very energetic, but not a lot of burning. Consistent with the report of his face receiving burns.
Here's an example that was posted earlier...

And someone passed out on another boat in Fonatur at the same time. They say it made a nice boom.

The dive masters had been complaining of gas fumes for a few weeks. The space under the floor was not properly vented. There was gasoline that had been spilled or leaked and became trapped under the floor. I have a video of the aftermath. Tanks were thrown everywhere. The boat was broken amidships. One tank ended up on top of the sun shade. I am friends with one of the dive masters that is usually on that particular boat. Their warnings about the gas fumes were not heeded.

The dive masters had been complaining of gas fumes for a few weeks. The space under the floor was not properly vented. There was gasoline that had been spilled or leaked and became trapped under the floor. I have a video of the aftermath. Tanks were thrown everywhere. The boat was broken amidships. One tank ended up on top of the sun shade. I am friends with one of the dive masters that is usually on that particular boat. Their warnings about the gas fumes were not heeded.
Rental boats are available if they need them:D

It would have been a whole lot cheaper to just fix the problem when it was reported.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom