Bungees or para cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaniDives

Registered
Reaction score
Hi divers,

What do you prefer to attach your bolt snaps to, to attach your cilinders to your harness. Bungee or paracord? I feel like bungee could snap any moment if the tanks are heavy but also feel like the elasticity makes it easier to blindly attach the cilinders...

It sounds like you need a class?

Static paracord on bottoms to bolt snap to drop d or waist d depending on cylinders. Two loop bungees (NOT dive rite loop bungee system) on top is all that is necessary. Short paracord loops around the neck to use and clip a double ender to in the off chance of a bungee failure or to add walking up a ladder with cylinders. Sidemount cylinders needn’t be hard clipped on the top.

Great question!
I personally use loop bungee for the top coming of the harness, generally a 8mm for steel and 6mm for Aluminium tanks.

The bottom attachment with the clip is para cord.
I also put a para cord safety loop around the neck of the tank, something I can use to clip a double ender to my tank and shoulder D ring

Thanks for your responses guys.

tI'm aware that during a dive it's not necessary to clip the tank necks to the D-rings on the harness, but I personally prefer it in addition to the regular bungees.

Ive seen many divers use bungee cord instead of paracord to attach the lower part of the tank to the sliding D rings on their harness as it's more flexible but also see people use paracord. Just asking for other people's opinions and preferences...

tI'm aware that during a dive it's not necessary to clip the tank necks to the D-rings on the harness, but I personally prefer it in addition to the regular bungees.

Ive seen many divers use bungee cord instead of paracord to attach the lower part of the tank to the sliding D rings on their harness as it's more flexible but also see people use paracord. Just asking for other people's opinions and preferences...
Can I ask who you’ve seen use or teach bungee for lower attachment point on primary sidemount bottles? Stages, yes. On primary bottles, I’ve never seen it taught or encouraged in any of the circles I’ve run in.

Dani, use paracord for the leashes top and bottom. It does depend on the area though. Mexico they pretty much use a loop with a double ender on it for the top. I was trained by Steve Lewis in how to set my cylinders up and that's the way I've been doing it for going on ten years now and it's the way I train.

No bungee cord on the top because they bounce around if going up and down ladders or stairs. You can also use a loop of paracord and a double ender if you're moving between cylinders a lot.

I have 4 dedicated sets of SM tanks and I don't want to mess with anything that can be misplaced, lost, or forgotten. Diving cold water and using steel cylinders I also prefer to keep them leashed at the top just in case the bungee breaks.
They are not going to nose dive down and put excess strain on anything.

The only thing I use bungee on is my deco/stage bottles. Bungee top and bottom for top mounted stages and paracord neck and bungee bottom for my bottom mounted 40 deco bottle.

Dani, use paracord for the leashes top and bottom. It does depend on the area though. Mexico they pretty much use a loop with a double ender on it for the top. I was trained by Steve Lewis in how to set my cylinders up and that's the way I've been doing it for going on ten years now and it's the way I train.

No bungee cord on the top because they bounce around if going up and down ladders or stairs. You can also use a loop of paracord and a double ender if you're moving between cylinders a lot.

I have 4 dedicated sets of SM tanks and I don't want to mess with anything that can be misplaced, lost, or forgotten. Diving cold water and using steel cylinders I also prefer to keep them leashed at the top just in case the bungee breaks.
They are not going to nose dive down and put excess strain on anything.

The only thing I use bungee on is my deco/stage bottles. Bungee top and bottom for top mounted stages and paracord neck and bungee bottom for my bottom mounted 40 deco bottle.

Do you have any images please, I don't remember seeing a set up without some form of bungee loop, how do they stay tight, just by virtue of the distance between anchors?

Dani, use paracord for the leashes top and bottom. It does depend on the area though. Mexico they pretty much use a loop with a double ender on it for the top.

If you are talking about attaching the tops of the primary cylinders to your harness in sidemount, then this is not accurate. Everyone I've ever met in Mexico uses bungee, either a continuous bungee or loops.

If you're talking about the back up attachment in case of a bungee failure, the way I do it (and the way everyone I've met does it) is to carry a spare bungee in the pouch, either a spare continuous or a short loop on a boltsnap.

For rigging the leashes/bolt snaps that clip primary tanks to your harness, paracord.

Now for rigging aluminum deco tanks? I’ve recently been introduced to the delights of using thick bungee cord for this purpose, even for the top bolt snap. That extra bit of give really helps.

If you are talking about attaching the tops of the primary cylinders to your harness in sidemount, then this is not accurate. Everyone I've ever met in Mexico uses bungee, either a continuous bungee or loops.

If you're talking about the back up attachment in case of a bungee failure, the way I do it (and the way everyone I've met does it) is to carry a spare bungee in the pouch, either a spare continuous or a short loop on a boltsnap.

I'm talking about the back up leashes for the top. I use loop bungees but still have top leashes that stay connected because it minimizes cylinder movement and puts less strain on the bungees getting in and out of the water. The leashes don't get in the way. On my LP50s that I use sometimes with my DR LT tech, they are bungeed to the valve because it has the ring system loops on it. I can remove the bungee to use them with my homemade rig that uses loop bungees.

I don't normally use anything but steels. I have access to al80s through the shop but rarely use them. Just enough to stay in practice if students decide that's the route they want to go. I'm walking in and out with two cylinders on and I'm not trusting the bungees to hold them for that and to let them bounce up and down. The leashes take care of both issues.

I know how they dive in Mexico through discussion but I've never been there diving. I was trained in 40-60 degree water with steel cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom