Any news on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like it may have been fuel vapors in an enclosed space that ignited. The recommended procedure for gas-powered boats with an enclosed space (like an inboard engine) is running a ventilation blower for 3-5 minutes before starting. Based on what I read, it sounds like he flooded the motor trying to get it to start, and when the gas vapors built up enough, it ignited.

Edit: it appears this boat had dual outboards, but if it had enclosed fuel tanks and electrical in the same space, the same still applies but there may not have been a blower to run.

It sounds like it may have been fuel vapors in an enclosed space that ignited. The recommended procedure for gas-powered boats with an enclosed space (like an inboard engine) is running a ventilation blower for 3-5 minutes before starting. Based on what I read, it sounds like he flooded the motor trying to get it to start, and when the gas vapors built up enough, it ignited.

Edit: it appears this boat had dual outboards, but if it had enclosed fuel tanks and electrical in the same space, the same still applies but there may not have been a blower to run.

The video doesn't show anything burned though.

The shoulders of all the tanks are painted yellow. In the USA that indicates chlorine gas. Not sure if it has any meaning in Mexico.

I understand it was a Scuba Du boat and gas fumes under the floor boards.

The shoulders of all the tanks are painted yellow. In the USA that indicates chlorine gas. Not sure if it has any meaning in Mexico.
Dive ops in Cozumel each have a unique color band or neck symbols on their tanks to ID the operator. This allows the fill operations to segregate the individual OP's tanks and helps the boat Captain's to identify divers on surface and keep groups together under water. The addition of a green band to the OP's color band usually indicates Nitrox.
Scuba Du is yellow

It was forunate that the boat wasn't packed with divers. I wonder if it was dropped on the valve? Hopefully it didn't just go because of age and neglect.

Back
Top Bottom