Is there a hydro requirement on bank cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASME I am pretty sure there are no testing requirements. But they cannot be transported (legally) with pressure in them.

Interesting point, hydros are required for transportation. If they are never transported, DOT has no oversight.

Is it required that bank cylinders that are immobile be hydro tested every five years?

it depends on the bottle, as mentioned above you have some that are 5 years, some that are 10, and some that don't require hydro. The bottles you probably are thinking of will be 5 or 10 year *10 if they have a star on them*, but like @broncobowsher said, if they aren't moving, then the DOT can't do anything about it....

It depends, your question is two vague (not enough info on the cylinders) to answer accurately:
-Are they ASME Cylinders
-Are they ISO Cylinders
-Are they banking air or another gas?
-Are they a specification or special permit cylinder if a USDOT Tank?
-Do they have a 5 pointed star stamp on them?
-What is your definition of "immobile" are they permanently built into the facility or do they just sit there?

Has anyone ever heard of DOT (US Department of Transportation) do anything to enforce hydros other than tube-trailers? Example:

full.jpg

So if it looks safe, it is safe. Got it.

Well, if Compressed Gas Association Pamphlets C-6-1968 and C-8-1962 say that... then I guess so. But I don't have a copy of them and can't check.

And I don't know why people think DOT cares, they wrote the spec they are not the tank police. OSHA are the ones who will get all bent out of shape if you are failing to follow a standard. Although statistically these days you are only likely to see an OSHA inspector if you really screwed up.

Back
Top Bottom