How would you handle purchase of a reg with a very bad leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely request a refund and see what happens otherwise you are probably out of luck as parts kits for the MK15 are not made anymore and they are almost impossible to get serviced. Specifically the HP seat is not available. I passed up a MK15 D400 for $69 on Ebay because the MK15 parts are not available to service it.

If it says in working condition and it isn't, I notify the seller and ask for return shipping. Two imes out of three I never hear from them again. I guess they figure the scam didn't work, and cut their losses,

I just looked at the service manual on it (not familiar with the 15). It's a pretty standard SP reg. All the orings can be purchased fairly inexpensively so they are not a problem. @couv may know what they are. If not with a few measurements a good reasonable selection can be made. One of the other SP regs HP seat might work. Just because there is no official kit does not mean they can't be serviced as long as the main parts are OK. Most of the regs I work on, kits have not been made for 50-60 years.
If you decide it is trash, shoot me an email I may be interested, I cut old regs open for displays so obsolete parts are not an issue.

My rules for EBay are:

Anticipate that the item I receive may be totally unusable and accept that the money I spent is part of my tuition for learning about EBay.

Be really, really nice when asking for a refund. I got a refund every time I asked for one and usually they don't want me to return what I bought.

Service every scuba item before use regardless of the decription saying "just serviced" "like new" or "never used" even if it seems to work OK for you and looks good externally. You will be surprised by what you sometimes find inside.

Even if the first stage is trashed, you still got a good deal for the other parts and the first stage may just need to be serviced and be fine after that.

@GJC Pretty much sums up the feelings I have for a regulator I would purchase for myself. However, rebuilding this type of stuff is my hobby. I've stopped advising people on this board to buy used gear. That is unless they are also into DIY or know ahead of the purchase someone who will service their eBay/CL find for a price they are willing to pay. In my estimation, you placed a good bet that will probably pay off if you can service/get it serviced for a reasonable price. The MK15 discussion is for another thread, @halocline nailed it earlier here:
Which Scubapro piston 1st stage is the overall best? I certainly cannot improve on that.

The computer: See this for the battery/seal:
Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's

If you are going to break into the first stage either have a kit in hand or leave the seat in the retainer and reuse it-it very well may be good. Moving it could cause problems with lockup.

Attached are a few documents you may find helpful. Heed the warning on page 3 of the manual NOT to remove the front bushing.

BTW "A BAD leak" in a an older SP piston first stage usually = Polyurethane o-rings that have turned into crispy critters.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

• MK15ServiceManual.PDF
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • MK15 seat old and upgraded.PNG
    MK15 seat old and upgraded.PNG
    136.5 KB · Views: 49
  • MK15-1997-12.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • MK15 annotated rev B.pdf
    123.2 KB · Views: 52
One of the other SP regs HP seat might work.

I wish this were true. It's a unique seat and the biggest issue I have with the MK15.

I would think that if you are buying an old regulator that has not been made for more than 10 years, that you should ASSUME that a complete overhaul is required. Even if it actually worked perfectly on arrival, would you really dive with a regulator like that?

So just because it has a leak does not mean you got ripped off. You won't know until you have somebody try to OH the first stage.

I purchased an octo on eBay, listed "used" and in the description: "Equipment should be serviced by a certified technician before use."

When I received the item, I hooked it up to a tank with about 700psi, and turned on the air. Immediately, there was a VERY BAD leak, coming from inside the first-stage (maybe piston/diaphragm, and not any of the hoses, 2nd-stage, regs, etc). The seller shows no refunds.

Obviously, I plan on servicing it regardless. I don't yet know the condition of the rest of the components. Is this leak likely something that should likely be fixed with a standard servicing? Would this bother you out enough to request/demand a refund?

I wouldn't be happy with it but unless you can't get it fixed by a normal service, I would tell him and depending on the state of the part ask for a refund.

I once bought a 'fully recently service xstream'. The seat was worn out, tilt valve damaged and purge button completely depressed.
The seller got angry at me and told me I still got a 'bargain' at 200 euros lol. That ****** tought me a good lesson about ebay though.

I've stopped advising people on this board to buy used gear. That is unless they are also into DIY or know ahead of the purchase someone who will service their eBay/CL find for a price they are willing to pay.
@couv hit the nail on the head.

This is eBay in a nutshell:
The seller got angry at me and told me I still got a 'bargain' at 200 euros lol. That ****** tought me a good lesson about ebay though.

But a DIY'ers delight...

My 2 cents? Don't buy eBay regs from Hawaii. The weather and some mysterious something else just makes for hidden corrosion, no matter how they look outside.

I bought a few diving regs, used on ebay. I guesstimated in the cost of servicing at my LDS before purchasing.

Both the 1st and 2nd stages I purchased worked just fine, but I'm not trusting my life with something of unknown provenance. Turns out the 2nd stage was from someone who posts fairly regularly here, but I didn't know it at the time.

Both transactions were more than fair.

So net net, I think you should have assumed servicing cost before purchasing. Working or not.

Back
Top Bottom