Video: ARS trip from 6/5/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

197854110_10223423359666486_3832083076691849414_n.jpg
195879515_10223423373346828_5673351725525837631_n.jpg

Why'd your gun swim to the surface?

Why'd your gun swim to the surface?
I never put any ballast in the handle. With one shaft on the gun it is negative. With no shafts it's buoyant. Made from teak. It's not very often that I shoot all three shafts. I knew better, and know to put my arms through the bands when empty, just had a lapse in thinking. Maybe a tad narked, though I didn't notice any narcosis all day. Needless to say, I'm putting some lead in the handle so that won't happen again.

Tried to ballast mine with enough lead to stay upright on the bottom. Easier to find and not to heavy to swing. Looked like the vis was pretty good.

Tried to ballast mine with enough lead to stay upright on the bottom. Easier to find and not to heavy to swing. Looked like the vis was pretty good.
Yes, so far this year viz has been consistently shootable. The first tropical system to roll through is going to change that though. Lots of gumbo on the bottom just waiting to be kicked up into the water column.

..., I'm putting some lead in the handle....
I think you can ask any of the gun manufacturers and they will all say the same thing about Lead placement.
Every shooter is different and not one solution is best for all of them. I've seen many pack the handle and then hated it because that 'natural accuracy feel' was destroyed. Add weight but use tape/zipties/puddy/etc to temporarily hold it in place and go diving with it. That 'kick' when you shoot is very critical to your comfort & accuracy. Packing the handle usually results in the gun 'rotating' instead of a 'straight back' when kicking. I try to encourage people to move the weight around from the front to the rear and in the middle. Try tire weights, lead straps, etc and Test, test test. Hold that gun for 60 seconds far out front while sweeping side to side and elbow locked to see how tiring it will be all day holding it. At Koah, every blue water custom gun is ballast adjusted in a saltwater tank with removable weights hidden under a screw down cover so it can be adjusted. I hate when Mfg's say 'oh you are missing because you need to get closer', that BS. The gun should shoot perfectly straight on a 20ft shot consistently & confidently. You can most likely get it dialed in exactly in just 3 dives. Once you like the placement & distribution, then pickup the drill/chisel and get creative on attaching/hiding it permanently so it looks and functions how you want it. There is no single perfect solution, every spearo is different. Test, Test, Test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom