Step-Dad needs some advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our Leave-In Conditioner is incredible! Conditions, detangles, protects, smells amazing - and best of all every ingredient is tested and proven safe for marine life... View attachment 643285

That's a HUGE point for us. We're mainly diving in fresh water lakes and while coral is the major world focus fresh water life is greatly affected by mainstream chemical additives as well. We only use product proven safe!

And a long haired freckled redheaded diver uses a LOT of product in the sun and water lol.

This comment showed up in a thread a while back.

I've been looking for the 'holy grail' of headbands or solutions to keep my hair out of my mask and out from under the skirt so I can get/keep a good seal. I think I found it (for now). I wet my hair and put a little bit of creme rinse (Stream to Sea, of course) to slick it back. Put on a headband to hold it back ... and here's the magic ... use those cheap hair clips to clip the hair band to your hair - but do it from the back, not the front, so the headband doesn't move when you jump in or during the dive. This worked really well for me. Otherwise, headbands just move off my head and it's annoying. Those silicone strips do nothing for me - I think I have a teeny head so everything is too big.

Good job getting the new family members into scuba: teen agers can't whine or ask you to buy stuff when they're under water with regulators in their mouths. However, they will be very hungry when they surface.

That's a HUGE point for us. We're mainly diving in fresh water lakes and while coral is the major world focus fresh water life is greatly affected by mainstream chemical additives as well. We only use product proven safe!

And a long haired freckled redheaded diver uses a LOT of product in the sun and water lol.
That's so amazing that you recognize the impact your products can have even though you're not diving in the ocean!! :heart: Many people don't realize that or make the connection, so thank you!! Our freshwater page has some interesting info for anyone that would like to read about this: Freshwater - Stream2Sea.com

I also wear a yoga boho headband so that I can stretch it over my forehead. It holds my flyaway and keeps my head & forehead from burning on the surface
Screenshot_20210221-004824_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-004905_Chrome.jpg

I hope i can find this thread when my daughter is old enough to dive (I'm thinking around 14 based on the research I've been reading lately).
Milena.jpg

@Scraps Yeah, they can't ask for stuff while they are underwater, but we're hooking them up with an expensive hobby that has pricey gear and international travel requests are inevitable. HA HA... Oh it's OK, I'll be going those places anyway so might as well bring'em along. :) They're going to have to figure out how to contribute to the liveaboard fund though, they charge per person!

I did get some tips for the wife and daughter from this thread.

My daughter has somewhat long hair and for this reason always wears a 3mm hood in warm water. Also makes it much easier to don/doff a mask without whisps of hair getting in the way or getting pulled.
BTW I have also seen her use this 3mm hood to put on a tight neck seal without pulling her hair: she puts on the hood, then the drysuit neck, then removes the lightweight hood from under the neck seal - voilá, neck seal in place and no hair caught anywhere.

The best hair for diving is short hair. Absolutely problem free. But I’m not going to suggest telling a teenager to cut her hair. :poke:
I frequently go back and forth between long hair and shaved head, and nothing can beat shaved head. The worst is short-ish hair, like a short bob. All the freaking fly-aways requiring two separated french braids. Always takes a couple tries or five because my very fine hair would always manage to get out. Shaved head, on the other hand, makes diving instant.
OP, don't show this thread to your step-daughter if you don't want her to learn shaving her head would pre-claim HOURS AND HOURS she could lose to long hair while diving, only to have it all fried by the salt water and the sun anyway :( but if I had beautiful thick, red hair, I'd prob try to be a bit more persistent :")

I frequently go back and forth between long hair and shaved head, and nothing can beat shaved head. The worst is short-ish hair, like a short bob. All the freaking fly-aways requiring two separated french braids. Always takes a couple tries or five because my very fine hair would always manage to get out. Shaved head, on the other hand, makes diving instant.
OP, don't show this thread to your step-daughter if you don't want her to learn shaving her head would pre-claim HOURS AND HOURS she could lose to long hair while diving, only to have it all fried by the salt water and the sun anyway :( but if I had beautiful thick, red hair, I'd prob try to be a bit more persistent :")

lol… I don’t think she’d ever shave it off! We really hope she doesn’t anyway ;-)

Thankfully the fresh water we dive here is so nice our hair actually gets healthier the more time we spend in it. I love the way my hair feels after a few days at the lake.

For salt I think we’ll go with a combo of a fresh water pre-soak, reef safe conditioner and either a braid (still learning) or fully wrap tied pony tail.

Trying these this summer here at home…

https://etsy.me/3jhnqyO

Back
Top Bottom