Can I get a visual without a valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a tank and am waiting to get a valve. In the meantime, can I get a vis check and sticker without having a valve on a steel tank?

My VIP includes review of elements relating to the valve, so I wouldn't put my sticker on a tank that was not in "fully operable condition" when it left my hands.

That being said, some retailers ship a tank/valve (unassembled) and include an inspection sticker....

curious to see where this discussion goes....

I have a tank and am waiting to get a valve. In the meantime, can I get a vis check and sticker without having a valve on a steel tank?

Why are you waiting to get a valve? Are you waiting to arrive from an online order or are you just waiting for some other reason?

I am waiting to see if one of the fine members on here can find one of the old valves that fits 3500psi tanks. I was hoping while i was waiting for it I could get it inspected. But I agree that the valve should be inspected as well. I was just curious if it was something I could get done in the mean time.

No, as if valve not available anything can enter tank. Most LDS include air fill with vip at no charge

A tank with no valve (or plug) allows moisture, dust, bugs, etc. To enter the tank,so you probably want another vip after you get the valve.

Some shops won't fill a tank with no pressure it and will require a new vip to make sure water has not entered the tank.

Most LDS include air fill with vip at no charge

:rofl3:..... not around here they don't.

@Seville, get a VIP, get a fill whip, install the valve and add a little pressure via said whip.

The tank should be plugged if there is no valve installed.

A hydro can be done without the valve, but a viz and fill needs a valve. If you are doing the hydro through a shop, they may want a valve on it, ask.

:rofl3:..... not around here they don't.

@Seville, get a VIP, get a fill whip, install the valve and add a little pressure via said whip.

How do you fill a tank with a whip? To my understanding, a whip is for cleaning the inside of the tank.:thumb:

An inspection sticker without a valve is pointless.

If anything, have the tanks inspected, know that they will pass, set them in the corner of the dive shop until the valve arrives. If they don't pass, you are not going to be needing that valve right away, or at all.

When the valve shows up, let the shop finish the inspection (make sure the valve is correct for the tank is part of that) at which point they can sticker it up. Put some air in, and you have a tank ready to go. Putting a sticker on early won't get it in the water any faster.

But being without a valve, NO STICKER, does not pass visual since the valve cannot be confirmed to be the correct one for the tank. People have tried putting the wrong (metric valve in an English thread) parts together. Scary stuff for the fill operator. That is who the visual is there to try and protect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom