What Dive Areas are Disappearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really, divers are 100% not part of the problem despite most being tourists.
Are you suggesting that most tourists going to Cozumel are divers?
How many cruises ships docked at the harbour ?

One thing I am pretty sure that vast majority of tourists who arrive at Bali(6.3m visitors)and Phuket(9.8m) have nothing to do with diving. Cozumel only draws 5m.

I dearly love visiting and diving your Philippines, but I saw more industrial scale destruction there than I could have imagined. Still, much to see, but many localized zones are just forever gone.
I do not come from Philippines.

Over last 10yrs only FOUR places have any sizable modern development for tourism. Mactan Island in Cebu, Malapascua, Panglao in Bohol and Puerto Galera in Mindoro. And only Malapascua and PG is diver destination(95%+). Alona Beach on Panglao used to be like that unfortunately scuba diving is now playing second fiddle to tourists with different idea. Pity.

Great diving is still available for the time being.
Tubattaha(Lob) is the best option. Only destruction so far is mainly caused by nature and illegal fishing practice or careless navigational skill of US Naval Captain.
https://www.rappler.com/nation/us-navy-ship-damaged-coral-in-tubbataha

Cozumel is a large dive destination, just like Key Kargo.

Which I could also use as an example. Let's break down a trip to the Florida Keys.

Normal Tourist Goes to Key West:

Flight to destination. Ground transport to hotel. Lives at hotel producing human waste. Goes to Duval Street and walks around town everyday.

Scuba Tourist Goes to Key Largo:

Flight to destination. Ground transport to hotel. Boat rides every day burning 1 gallon of fuel per mile with exhausts pumped into the water over the reefs. Compressors filling tanks all day. One of several divers every single day of the year who accidentally kicked a ten year old branch of coral off the colony. Also lives at hotel producing human waste and may also spend some time around town.

Sure there are far more normal tourists, but to act as if tourist divers are somehow good for reefs is hogwash, which was my point. The presence of tourist reef kickers is just another part of the equation. In other words, there's no clean hands in any of it and until we see drastic push back against globalization and a push for population reduction, everything natural and wild is on borrowed time.

I do not come from Philippines.

I got mislead. I was once told Barangay Pasaway was a Philippine reference to grumpy old neighborhood s.o.b.

What do I know? But I was hoping to use it for my SB handle.

Back
Top Bottom