These boots were made for froggin'...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious what @The Chairman says about his polypro socks and drying out.
I only wear nylon socks when I dive. They are thin and dry incredibly quickly. I'm not walking far, so I don't need any cushion and I like the tactile feel between foot and boot with the thin socks. After all, the only thing I need them to do is to eliminate the normal friction that I would have without them. Feet that are wet for an hour become soft, tender even. I remember the pain I endured on my first liveaboard and all the moleskin I went through.

upload_2021-6-2_7-54-12.png

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XLQ48KF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went for a dive in Troy Springs Sunday a week ago and the boots performed like they're supposed to. The river is a bit up, so I could not swim off of the easy platform and had to negotiate rocks. These had great grip and I couldn't feel any protrusions through the sole. As some of you know, I broke my leg in Fiji a couple of years ago and it's still sore as one of the plates impinges on a nerve. These gave me great support and I was able to easily walk down as well as up in full gear. Yeah, these are my new go-to boots and as I understand it, the designer is working for another company to produce another dive boot... and I might even get a pair to try out. Woot!

I go sock-less in them. No issues with chafing/rubbing. I keep the insoles in place. I also believe mine are wides, so no issues with toe pinching.

[snip] the designer is working for another company to produce another dive boot... and I might even get a pair to try out. Woot!
Please keep us updated.

A tall boot would be awesome with my Fusion DS. There are a few inches where the sock is above the Altama MA-Mids and below the cuff of the skin and it tends to billow out, making for floaty feet. I have tried some cheap 8" jungle boots and they solve the billow, but are a bit too stiff in the ankle. I know ... gaiters - next to try, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution.

Please keep us updated.
I was just asked by the designer if I've gotten them yet. Cool.

Last night my Decker Lab Matryx boots arrived. I was a bit worried as these are a hybrid and I wasn't sure I could get into them. Hybrid? They are a boot below the Malleoli (ankle bone) and more like a booty above. I have a good amount of pain in my hands and knees which make it hard to bend and grasp. I'm also pretty fat which makes it hard to bend as well. However, these went on fairly easily, especially with nylon socks on. I might even be able to do this on a rocking boat, but I have the same issues with normal booties, so it's a problem with me and not the boot.

So, I've got them on right now and took a bit of a walk. They certainly are comfy out of the water and I could see carrying tanks a long way, even over rocks. They have a Vibram sole that looks "sticky" and I'll get them in the water soon to check that out. They have cloth-covered drains on either side of the boot, so these should drain and dry easily like the original OTBs. Remember, this is the same designer as the boot in my original post. I'm guessing, these will become my tough terrain boot and the others will become my easy-to-slip-on boot for boats. Both are awesome.

The original OTBs were designed for Navy Seals to go "Over the Beach", ie from the water to the land, without having to change footwear. True to the original format, these are also lacking glitz and branding. Oh, you can find the name of the boot if you look hard enough, but it's not obvious. Like all of Dan's designs, these feel awesome and I'm sure they will dive that way as well.

upload_2021-6-5_7-39-18.png

No-nonsense black boot called the Matryx by Decker Lab

upload_2021-6-5_7-39-59.png

Feels great on the feet and walking.

upload_2021-6-5_7-40-39.png

Can you say "prototype"?​

Wow, while quite comfortable in the garden, these are WARM!!! A bit too warm to garden in Florida's early Summer. As some of you know, I don't like much exposure protection when I dive. Some people get kind of freaked when they see me deep in a cave wearing a swimsuit and tee. The one thing I would like to warm up, however, are my feet and this just might do that. The drain holes are large, about the size of a dime, and are placed where the toes flex on either side of the boot. The fit around the ankles is snug enough, that I don't expect water to freely flow through them. This is indeed a hybrid boot/bootie with ankle support and a Vibram sole. My XXL fin was a bit loose on the Altama, and it might be the same here. I think I'll try an XL if I can find one around here.

upload_2021-6-5_9-14-42.png

Notes from Dan...

These will be available in September unless you're a SEAL! So, if you want them quick, go through BUDS and join the SEALs.

The actual name of the boot is M4 for Maritime 4".

Matryx is the name of the web fabric that the laces are on.

Here is their website: www.dxltac.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom