warmest 5mil wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

70-75 celcius is a little too warm for anything other than a rash guard IMO

70C is only 158F. Diseases and bacteria are killed at 140. So good temp for those who don't want to get sick. Just stay well hydrated and rember that human skin is destroyed at 162F.

Honestly fit matters more than material or even thickness.

So the warmest is the best fitting.

I was wondering about that. So something like Henderson, which is supposed be stretchier and easier fitting, would not be less warm than a similar thickness of a denser, less stretchy neoprene?

Sorry if this is a nutty question, I've been lucky to have the same couple of 3 mil wetsuits for 10 years, and I'm finally ready to move on and get something warmer. If I can get away with a good fitting 5 mil, maybe adding a 3 mil hooded vest, and stay warm for a week of cave diving, that would be great.

You might also want to check out Waterproof's line.

I've been using the new Waterproof W7 5mm suit for the past month (8 dives),which comes with an optional neck seal, highly recommended :thumb:

I will be using my 5mm Henderson thermoprene pro suit tomorrow Water is about 68F. Will let you know how it goes

Hello, I'm in the market for a 5 mil suit for use in around 70F temps. I'm currently using an older 3 mil with a 3 mil hooded vest and marginally too cold for the dives I'm doing, Mexican caves. I would like to avoid going to a 7 mil suit if I can and a drysuit is out of the question for me at this time. A 5mil semi-dry, if that's even something that exists, would be interesting to me.

I wonder if the stretchier materials (like Henderson) sacrifice some warmth over denser, less stretchy materials. I welcome any recommendations and/or opinions. I'm a pretty average size person, probably most off-the-rack medium or medium-short suits will fit okay.

Thanks!
5 mm in freshwater should do the trick in the temperature range you suggested. There are semi dry wetsuits out there. Buy one that fits well and doesn't restrict movement.
Please take a look at our 5 mm "freedive" suits. If you are looking for a lot of warmth with a minimal amount of bulk and restriction, these are the types of suits to consider.

We use the best neoprene available - Yamamoto, our suits have only one layer of fabric material on them (which improves flexibility) and we have an attached hood which eliminates leakage at the neck, there is NO ZIPPER so there are no leaks there and the ankles and wrists have smooth rubber on the inside which greatly reduces the exchange of water.

Freedivers need a suit that is very flexible to allow good breathing, a minimum mount of neoprene (to minimize buoyancy swings) and a compfortable suit since they are often worn for 4-6 hrs in one session.

These suits are also easy to get into (which might be surprising without a zipper) but, we use a suit lubricant which makes the suit slide on very easily. You don't want to wear a dive skin underneath these suits, since it would affect how the suit slides on.

Edit: I searched for this older thread and found this. A pretty comprehensive review from forum members.

Review: Mako Yamamoto Two Piece Open Cell Wetsuits (3mm and 5mm) MAKO Spearguns

This video probably explains it better than I can.

https://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/m2y3drc.htm
Thanks
dano
My only problem with the method you provided is the chemicals applied on the the woman.

Hello, I'm in the market for a 5 mil suit for use in around 70F temps. I'm currently using an older 3 mil with a 3 mil hooded vest and marginally too cold for the dives I'm doing, Mexican caves. I would like to avoid going to a 7 mil suit if I can and a drysuit is out of the question for me at this time. A 5mil semi-dry, if that's even something that exists, would be interesting to me.

I wonder if the stretchier materials (like Henderson) sacrifice some warmth over denser, less stretchy materials. I welcome any recommendations and/or opinions. I'm a pretty average size person, probably most off-the-rack medium or medium-short suits will fit okay.

Thanks!
For freshwater caves a 5 mm should do the trick, provided you are just visiting; otherwise you will need a 7mm. Place a plastic freezer bag over your limbs to stop rips. Buy a semi-dry wetsuit that doesn't restrict movement. Don't believe any of the hype on neoprene.

Probe iDry is the dream if you really want comfort. It's super flexible and soft, thus fits super well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom