SS Chenango - May 24, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
In April of 1942 the SS Chenango was sunk by the German Submarine U-84. Only one man out of a crew of more than 30 survived. Join the Virginia Beach Technical Dive Club as we visit a rarely dived wreck 40 miles due east of the VA/NC line in 140 FT of water. SS Chenango - the Forgotten Warrior.

This was a great dive & even with the forecast being all gloom & doom, believe it or not the weatherman was wrong, LOL we had near perfect conditions. A must dive for those who have the training & experience.
50+ feet of vis, 63 degree bottom temp, it made the 45 minutes of BT go by quick, but unfortunately the temp in the mid-water was 53 degrees for the 40 minutes of Deco. Even worse since Andy was doing most of his Deco on back gas ( it would have been tough to carry the gas he needed & still lug the Video equipment needed to bring this dive to light) we ended up doing 60 minutes of Deco, without any movement to keep us warm.
Still I would sign up to do it again today.

Thanks for the video. Looks like you had great conditions. I think I'll add the Chenango to the list of wrecks I want to hit.

Great video! That should keep me satisfied for the next 10 years (and 1000 dives) or so until I am qualified for that dive!

I just ran across this post of the video. Just in case anyone is interested? I along with Linwood Martens salvaged the wheel/propeller off of Chenango back in 1976. I am writing a story about our adventure. Linwood and I are most likely the first to ever dive on Chenango other than possibly military divers. If you would like me to publish our story here? Just let me know. Also I can be reached by email. billd4345@gmail.com

I just ran across this post of the video. Just in case anyone is interested? I along with Linwood Martens salvaged the wheel/propeller off of Chenango back in 1976. I am writing a story about our adventure. Linwood and I are most likely the first to ever dive on Chenango other than possibly military divers. If you would like me to publish our story here? Just let me know. Also I can be reached by email. billd4345@gmail.com

Hell yes!!!

Looking forward to it.
Jay

Thank you for your response Jay. I have one more chapter to finish and I will post it. In the meantime I have been posting one chapter each day to my Facebook page. I am up to chapter 6 of 12 which I posted today. Here is the link to may Facebook page. Bill Dixon

Good read to Chapter 6!!!!!

Thanks for the entertainment, looking forward to the rest.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom