McLean Extreme 5 dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think somebody from the company had indicated that the housing was from the divecomputer.eu, but the internals were all their own.

Yes, the Shearwaters are known and respected, I just was wondering about the 'new kid on the block.' Thanks for the input!

until there’s a load of people screaming the praises for the new kid on the block, leave them to it. Doubly so for a company that has this level of reliability and poor service.

I have an old broken computer from them and they’ve had their chance.

Diving is hard enough. You must have reliability so you can trust your kit. Your life may depend upon it.

I'm not sure I'd call an ARM M4 new. It was released way back in 2010. 9 more years and it will officially be an antique.

By new I meant utterly different than the electronic used in the computer made by divecomputer.eu.

The bloke that did this is on here and TDF. He spent ages chatting idly about deco code while knocking up a couple of prototypes and then did this using the divecomputers.eu as a base. I think he is a software person so it it going to work. I’d buy one but I have enough computers.

Thanks!

The disclaimer is interesting:
While we make an ongoing and ongoing effort to make sure the Extreme works properly, it is a statistical certainty that a particular version contains undetected bugs.

Us "it professionals" know that detecting all runtime bugs reduces to Turing's Halting Problem that is undecidable, therefore it is a theoretical certainty that any piece of software contains undetected bugs. I bet this didn't make you feel better? -- that is why we don't normally tell this to the unwashed.

Understood.

A bug in my word processor is one thing, though. One in my dive computer... not so comforting, no.

Us "it professionals" know that detecting all runtime bugs reduces to Turing's Halting Problem that is undecidable, therefore it is a theoretical certainty that any piece of software contains undetected bugs. I bet this didn't make you feel better? -- that is why we don't normally tell this to the unwashed.

There are few examples of "zero error code" but it's very pricy to create one :wink:

Back
Top Bottom