Corrective Lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vibenz

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering buying corrective lenses for my Tusa M-212 mask. However, I use progressive glasses with +2.50 for distance and +4.75 for reading.

Corrective lenses for this mask appear to come only in single diopters. So if I buy +2.50 for distance, I still need an additional +2.25 to read my dive computer etc.

I have looked at stick-on lenses, but the attachment does not seem to be reliable when exposed to water.

So far, I have been using contact lenses, distance in one eye and reading in the other. Not ideal, but it works, ... kind of. However, this is risky if the mask gets flooded or dropped.

Since I'm obvsiouly not the only diver with this problem, I will greatly appreciate your recommendations.

You need to check out sea-vision. They do most prescriptions including astigmatism and bifocals. Obviously you'll need to see an optometrist if you don't have a current prescription handy.

SeaVision Prescription Dive Masks | Shop Now Many dive shops have the masks in stock so you can try the frames on to see which ones will fit.

According to the FAQ, sea-vision will also make prescription lenses for other brands of mask frame. I don't personally know anyone who's done that but it is mentioned here: FAQ | SeaVision You may be able to get prescription lenses for your Tusa.

I don't sell their products or have anything to do with them other than the fact that my wife owns a sea-vision mask and likes it.

SeaVision masks are excellent, I bought my first one years ago.
I have a similar pescription to you.
The near vision magnifying lenses are set in the center bottom of the mask and are part of the main lens so no lines or joints.
They will also supply lenses for certain other masks, email and ask them, the mask will need to be sent to them for fitting.
Along with your pescription you will need your PD measurement, this is important to get right and not normally on a pescription.
Worth every penny.

I normally also use progressives but underwater I only get my lenses with the far prescription and am able to read gauges and camera buttons fine so you may not need the reading correction either.

I recently used these guys:

Order Dive Mask | See The Sea RX

We only did readers, but they do full prescription too.

They will sell you a mask, or you can send them your own mask.

I haven't had the masks long enough to comment on durability, but the masks they did worked well for us.
Mine initially had the reader lens too high. They lowered it at no cost to me.

I would use them again. (And probably will.)

+1 for SeaVision. As both @TerryC and @kelemvor have pointed out, they do a great job. I use bifocals and that helps with the SPG, but since I added a Shearwater computer I could get away with using a single lens. Good luck and be safe.

I have looked at stick-on lenses, but the attachment does not seem to be reliable when exposed to water.

I have stick-on lenses on my mask. Haven't had any problems but the lenses have only experienced temporary submersion in water!

In my home country several opticians make custom made lenses for divers at a very decent price.

This is what I use. I do not need the extent of correction that you do. The upper lenses are +1 and the lower ones +2. The upper uncorrected area is good for my long range vision. They are Trident brand glass lenses. Use optical glue or silicone, not the included adhesive. Remember your vision will get a boost from the mask's air/water interface.

IMG_2020a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom