35 lb Wing for Warm Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ancient red Dive Right Rec Wing is 36 (I think) pounds of lift. I really can't tell a difference between it and the 22 pound tropical wing I bought because I thought I needed it. From tropical waters to Great Lakes chilly Willy diving to dry suit team diving, it does it all just fine.

Enjoy the new rig,

Jay

the DGX single gears wing is awesome. It can definitely be a single use wing for everything you're looking to do.
My wife and I also use the DGX singles wing for both cold and warm...great wing for the price...very narrow and doesn't taco
I really like how streamlined the DGX wing is. Have either of you dove with an 8" wide tank on your DGX single? All my warm water diving will be on AL80s, but I haven't made up my mind on which steel tanks to get for cold water, especially since eventually I want to double them up an move into tech diving.

The DGX single calls out how perfect it fits the list of common 7.25" tanks, with no more comment about what it means for 8" tanks. I've read elsewhere that some of the real narrow 30 lb wings can only inflate to 25 lbs with the bigger tanks. I do plan to use an STA so I can put some weight in it, so maybe that would help address that by moving the tank out a little.

I really like how streamlined the DGX wing is. Have either of you dove with an 8" wide tank on your DGX single? All my warm water diving will be on AL80s, but I haven't made up my mind on which steel tanks to get for cold water, especially since eventually I want to double them up an move into tech diving.

The DGX single calls out how perfect it fits the list of common 7.25" tanks, with no more comment about what it means for 8" tanks. I've read elsewhere that some of the real narrow 30 lb wings can only inflate to 25 lbs with the bigger tanks. I do plan to use an STA so I can put some weight in it, so maybe that would help address that by moving the tank out a little.
I use super heavy Japanese steel tanks, no problems at all. Why do you plan to use a STA?

For cold water, I plan to convert an STA into a weighted STA just as another place to put weight that is not cluttering up my harness or making for a heavy weight belt.
Have you dived with a big steel on an STA? It feels pretty tippy having all that weight hanging well out there. It's certainly manageable, but you might consider keeping the tank closer and attaching the extra weight to the body of your plate or your cambands instead.

Have you dived with a big steel on an STA? It feels pretty tippy having all that weight hanging well out there. It's certainly manageable, but you might consider keeping the tank closer and attaching that weight to the body of your plate or your cambands instead.
Oh. I have not. Thx.

Side note, but both lp85s and lp108s are good cold water tanks and serve well as doubles.

too bad Vintage Double Hose is still having supplier problems. Their 35# wing is darn near the same size as their 18# wing, very compact.

I use a halcyon 40 on a steel plate in cold water, both in my Nova and my Neotek. For travel to warm water, I run the dgx 30 wing on a carbon plate in a 3mm full suit. works great for me.

For cold water, I plan to convert an STA into a weighted STA just as another place to put weight that is not cluttering up my harness or making for a heavy weight belt.
My wife and I both have STA on our DGX wing. I have not used it with a 8" tank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom