DIR- Generic What are people using for backup lights now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A compact Big Blue light like the Big Blue 1200 have great burn times, fantastic light output, and are easy to clip off or store in pockets.

The Halcyon scout and LM 2/3W work, but are definitely a dated technology and there are higher quality options at lower prices on the market.

@ginti , I meant two in my pocket in addition to the two on my chest straps. Anyway, I understand that carrying two long-burning lights is more in line with the minimalist philosophy than carrying four lights of lesser burn time and taking up pocket space unnecessarily.

An instructor once criticized my carrying an extra cutting device—an Eezycut—on my computer wrist strap in addition to the standard knife on my waist strap.

@ginti , I meant two in my pocket in addition to the two on my chest straps. Anyway, I understand that carrying two long-burning lights is more in line with the minimalist philosophy than carrying four lights of lesser burn time and taking up pocket space unnecessarily.

An instructor once criticized my carrying an extra cutting device—an Eezycut—on my computer wrist strap in addition to the standard knife on my waist strap.

My opinion again: better to have as little equipment as possible. Evaluate the possible failure points, bring adequate redundancy, and nothing more.

Having too much equipment means:
- more potential failure points
- more things to remember
- more time to find the right thing when you need it
- more exercises to practice in order to maintain an adequate level of skills
I do not see any advantages in having more, once that redundancy for emergencies that can realistically happen is ensured.

@ginti...Yet, to avoid a lights discussion with my Cave 1 instructor, I went with the light that is unquestionably compliant with GUE standards.

Aah, I was wondering whether your instructor actually enforced any backup light restrictions, but you went ahead yourself.

In hindsight, would it have been better to have had the discussion with them since you're still not happy with your decision?

At the very least, they could have addressed the question you asked here earlier. You could probably still talk to them about it...

I was using some HOG MORPH lights for the longest time (~9 years) as primary and video lights (with cable and canister), and backups. They have slowly lost their life at the end (short burn times, regardless of 18650 cell inside)..

Currently using some Dive Rite BX2 lights. They're solid and work.... too solid, there's quite a bit of excess material on the 18650 holder for my tastes .... should have put them on the lathe before I sold it to knock the diameter way down.

Even the CX2 has the same diameter (according to Dive Rites website spec sheet, 10thou larger), but has the ability to run the 18650 or 21700 cell (21700 with ~50% more battery)

_R

'tis true <sigh>. I was happily using DGX600s until I took Cave 1 and reluctantly bought Scouts. The DGX600s are at least as bright as the Scouts, and for Cave 1 dives tell me why I need 3 hours of burn time?
Considering GUE courses and equipment builds on each other, why spend money on equipment that will need to be replaced if you take full cave or cave DPV? Is it your plan to just keep adding another couple lights to your pocket for longer dives instead of just buying a light that will actually last if you need it?

Considering GUE courses and equipment builds on each other, why spend money on equipment that will need to be replaced if you take full cave or cave DPV? Is it your plan to just keep adding another couple lights to your pocket for longer dives instead of just buying a light that will actually last if you need it?

I understand. For Fundamentals, you have bought essentially all the gear you would need if you were C1, even C2. I suppose it's an incentive to keep moving. At least my wife is happy we're done buying gear for a while.

Aah, I was wondering whether your instructor actually enforced any backup light restrictions, but you went ahead yourself.

In hindsight, would it have been better to have had the discussion with them since you're still not happy with your decision?

At the very least, they could have addressed the question you asked here earlier. You could probably still talk to them about it...

As you know, the question of why anyone would still advocate alkaline batteries and expensive Halcyon or LM twist-on/off lights when lithium technology has advanced so much has been hashed and re-hashed on SB. I followed those threads, reading the arguments pro and con. In my C1 course, the reasoning was covered briefly. I felt no need to waste time bringing up the other side of the argument. The GUE standards remain what they are, and having bitten the bullet and bought the expensive Scouts, I'm fine with using what is the standard. One of the reasons GUE appeals to me is the standardization. Even if an argument can be made that some aspect of the standards is dated and could be improved upon, I like the fact that there is a standard.

Are we not to have 2 blades for cave?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom