35 lb Wing for Warm Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive cold water at home and warm water while travelling. My first dry suit is in the mail, but when last I dove in a rented wet suit at home I had 32 lbs with a jacket BCD & AL80. As I'm putting together a new rig, I'm looking at a steel DGX plate and harness with a Dive Rite Voyager 35 lb wing (DGX Custom - DGX Gears Harness Package - Dive Rite EXP).

35 lbs is WAY more than I need for warm weather in a 3mm wet suit, but what annoyance would there be from such an oversized wing?

I do like the design of the DGX 30 lb kit (DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package), but I think I like the piece of mind of the extra 5 lbs in cold water and it recommends against using it with 8" tanks.

I use the DGX Singles for all of my diving. Both warm and cold drysuit diving. And I'd recommend it because of the shape. It's narrow, and it doesn't taco.

So it goes like this.
for steel 15l warm saltwater (Mediterranean) diving with a 5mm wetsuit I use 2kg with a steel plate.
For steel 12l same scenario I use 4kg.
For AL80 same scenario I use 6kg.

For freshwater warm in a 5mm wetsuit I don't use any weights for either 12 or 15l. I don't sue AL80's for fresh water diving.

Fot the drysuit I use from 2-5kg depending on the udersuit. But lateley I just leave the 5kg on the plate and use it when ever I'm using a drysuit disregarding on the undersuit. but usually I use a 450g teddy fleece from Avatar, or 150g microfleece.

In none of the cases I've used the wing the size never felt a problem.
For heavier weight in fresh water, I feel comfortable cause in emergency I have my drysuit as a backup and I have my DSMB as a backup.

For the 35l and a 3mm, in saltwater, you'll have great time since you'll not need a lot less weights with a steel plate.

Here are some pictures of the wing underwater in warm water.

tKDg-Q4qYLR6WXzqkj8gsUceuWGKHPBbWpz4W6I6mP63eRv1cMrgkh1QE5907IvEnWWykw=w1459-h1094-no?authuser=0.jpg

With AL80

gGM8b5stCjT3QmKrs3i8MRVougN9584bgeQtSdV-Bvmq8gtVxegTU4LZwQloe6ngarvX0Q=w1459-h1094-no?authuser=0.jpg

with 12l steel shorty

xMnV5aFgXy9D_S1ArbJzndcytjQIGHeAtY05p0LMi7nbo03jIZ_x7a7XypMbfHUL5yf36g=w1459-h1094-no?authuser=0.jpg

Again AL80

So my say is, just go for it. It's more than you'll ever need and it won't hinder you in any way,

I have used my hog 32lbs wing for diving dry and diving in a 3 mil without complaint in either configuration. My wing has the bungees and creates no more drag than the smaller wing options.

the DGX single gears wing is awesome. It can definitely be a single use wing for everything you're looking to do. When you're diving dry, you also have your suit for emergency buoyancy anyway. And you shouldn't have all 32 lbs mounted onto your backplate anyway, at least a portion should be ditchable, so you should be able to float the rig anyway.

35 lbs is WAY more than I need for warm weather in a 3mm wet suit, but what annoyance would there be from such an oversized wing?
None, especially if you weight yourself properly.

I am putting together my new freedom plate with the oxycheq 30# wing for warm water diving. The oxy is super compact and streamlined.

Consider the fact that the only time you really have any significant air in your BC is at the surface so underwater, unless it is flapping around like (I can only think of one thing here and it is WAY inappropriate), you should be fine.

For me, in cold water, the limiting factor was the buoyancy of the rig by itself (without me and my 7-mil wetsuit in it). With 22 lbs of lead and a 6-lb backplate and a full tank, it needed a 40-lb wing.

With warm water, I think a 30# wing would be plenty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom