Question on Safety Stop Buoyancy Abilities

What is your current level of vertical movement in the water column for a safety stop

• Have to hold onto down (anchor) line or dive float line to maintain accurate depth

• Visual Reference only 5ft / 1.5m or greater

• Visual Reference only 4ft / 1.2m or greater

• Visual Reference only 3ft / 1.0m or greater

• Visual Reference only 2ft / 0.6 or greater

• Visual Reference only 1ft / 0.3m or greater

• Visual Reference only 1ft / 0.3m OR LESS

• I'm happy with my current ability

• I want to improve

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can consistently do +- 1 ft without loading, +- 2 with most loading scenarios (DSMB, mask, pony switches). I'd like to be better. Average under 25 dives/yr during the last decade but on a base of ~1200. Typically the first couple of dives of the season are... "rougher". :wink:

Under normal conditions I do 100+ dives a year, run the BSAC buoyancy & trim workshop 2 or 3 times a year. Even put the lead instructor of the dive operator I last used in Thailand through it in 2019. Hold the stop +/- 0.3m. That said I’ve also nearly broken the +/- 2.0m on occasion.

I’ve had instructors completely loose it when task loaded, dropping from 6m to 12m when removing/refitting their mask.

So, I voted for 1 ft, I take that as +/- 1 ft. When I am drift diving in SE FL, and have my flag, it is easy to have almost no movement at all. I am PADI rescue and SDI solo, a few over 2000 dives.

With visual reference like hovering over a shallow reef, a wall, near an anchor line etc, +- 0.3m

Without visual reference like in the blue, more like +- 1.0m. It's much harder for me to maintain constant depth with the laggy feedback from a dive computer.

In my early days i had to hold,onto,something. I learned to let go of whatever I was holding onto because it became too crowded with other divers hanging on during the safety stop.

It can be a bit of a challenge when the wind is strong and the waves are high.

As there are particles in the water going up and done, I have a plus/minus one foot plus some inches. I have to really not be paying attention to go two feet up or down.

Here is the SS part of a dive I did this morning:

upload_2021-5-31_15-41-31.png

It was the end of a typical solo dive of mine (shore dive, 30m max, about 50min duration, 34% nitrox - perfectly calm surface). Usually at SS I find my exit point and then wonder around 5m for 5 minutes looking at the sea bed. I don't pay too much attention to my depth hence occasionally I fall below 6m but usually just briefly.
I have 2 dive computers:
- Cressi Newton which is quite liberal with SS (it counts 3 minutes and if you go below 6m during SS it just pauses counting and resumes once you are above 6m). I always clear this DC's SS as minimum.
- divecomputer.eu which is very strict with SS (one moment below 6m and it resets the whole 5 minutes counter). Occasionally (like today - it reset the counter 4:20 into the SS) I end the dive before I clear the SS of this DC.

If I pay 100% of my attention to my depth I think I can hold it within 30cm/1foot (with good conditions) for 5 minutes. Problem is I get bored easily holding position and when I start moving/looking around my depth inevitably fluctuates.
I can also hold position doing simple things (mask cleaning/removal, dsmb release, pony removal/replace etc), but I am not that good yet with more complicated tasks (eg. bpw removal/replace).

I have 280 dives and AN/DP although 99.99% of my dives are within rec limits (occasionally solo)

Keep in mind I haven't been in SB for few days hence I was not aware of this thread. Next dive, I will intentionaly try to hold position within 0.3m/1ft to see.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-31_15-40-11.png
    upload_2021-5-31_15-40-11.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
  • upload_2021-5-31_15-41-10.png
    upload_2021-5-31_15-41-10.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 54

Back
Top Bottom