McLean Extreme 5 dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can find it that it is from France.
This is your chance to be a Beta tester, and maybe even get Serial Number 001!

I have tried to contact them via their website, but the contact form doesn't work.

This is look like rebranded divecomputer.eu product. People have some bad experiences with product and customer service, search in the forums.

As mentioned above it's a rebranded divecomputer.eu
I've heard of people who like them, but customer service and overall reliabillity seems to be lacking to say the least.
It's one of those computers where you'll be happy owning one, untill something goes wrong, and that is why I would avoid it at all costs.

Here is are two reviews from both SB and a reddit forum:

Initially, several of the stated features where missing, especially the subsurface support and variable p02. Apperantly, polish diver use max-pO2 at 1.6 bar hardcoded.

The computer broke after only 4 dives, sent it back to manufacturer who found a defect pressure sensor, replaced it and sent it back. The process took a while but they had a support portal and could interact with them. Once repaired it seemed to work fine and I updated it regularly with new patches from their supplied boot loader. It's will require some minor IT-skills to get it up and running, but nothing major. The biggest change was when they released support for importing dives with libdivecomputer. Again, some "fiddling" for it to work (had to manually create a COM-port for paired device).

One annoyance was that the computer sometimes would suddenly reboot under water and loose all deco info. This is of course not acceptable and I made several inquires through supportportal with no/little response. I eventually found the issue (or so I think), a jolt/sudden movement could shake the AA-battery enough to loose contact with connectors. After cleaning the connectors, stretching the spring a bit and adding a layer of electrical tape to the battery the issue almost went away.

It would sometimes reboot in the surface after rolling of the side of the boat, I guess the "jolt" from that height was enough to upset something. But still, not acceptable.

I was about to just cut my loss and get a perdix, but thought that might give the latest version of hardware a change, so I sent it back to the manufacturer (hardware needs to be done by them obviously). Unfortunately, corona struck and they pretty much closed shop, took me almost 4-5 months to get it back! (The upgrade was done free of charge, I only paid the shipping to them)

Now it runs version 4.1 (i.e. not the very latest) but performance/stability is finally acceptable.I have had no issues with it so far (although just 40 dives in) but I still tape the batteries (old habit)

This one is from SB

My friend and I bought a couple of computers from divecomputer.eu. We wish we hadn't.

His first one, the screen cracked on a 52m dive about the 5th time he'd used it. They replaced it but weren't very quick about it.

Mine lasted 9 months until I took it on a dive and it was reading 0.0m despite the fact we were at about 10m.

I sent it back at my own expense. They replaced the pressure sensor and over 2 weeks later, I got it back.

First dive I took it on, I looked at it for the first time at 3m and the screen was full of water.

This time they paid for the courier. I got sent a new one, again after a couple.of weeks.

That worked for about 4 months. Then the battery ran out and now when it switches.on it goes straight into bootloader mode and I can't get it out of it. I can't reinstall the latest software because it's not available and the support I raised 4 weeks ago has gone unanswered.

I'd rather get an old second hand predator for 300-400 euros or a petrel for 600 than buy these to be honest.

I think somebody from the company had indicated that the housing was from the divecomputer.eu, but the internals were all their own.

Yes, the Shearwaters are known and respected, I just was wondering about the 'new kid on the block.' Thanks for the input!

Only the housing is made according to the design by divecomputer.eu, all the electronic is new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom