Backplate - Zeagle vs. DiveRight vs. Hollis vs. Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Don

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I ordered a Zeagle BP/W combination from my LDS. Unfortunately, the Zeagle backplate is backordered for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to get my gear yet. (As an aside, the shop has been great - giving me loaner gear until my ordered stuff comes in, so while it's frustrating to not have it yet, the LDS is being very helpful in being sure I can still dive.)

In my most recent conversation with them, the guy at the shop said that if I wanted to he would be able to get the rest of the stuff I ordered and swap out another stainless steel backplate. (He mentioned DiveRight, but they also have Hollis and Hog plates at about the same prices, so I could probably do those as well.)

With that said - considering that I'm still able to dive since they are giving me a loaner BP/W setup in the meantime, are there any reasons I would *not* want to switch to the DiveRight, Hollis, or Hog backplate instead of the Zeagle? Of those four, is there one of them that you personally would recommend, and if so, why? Are there any that you would recommend avoiding?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I ordered a Zeagle BP/W combination from my LDS. Unfortunately, the Zeagle backplate is backordered for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to get my gear yet. (As an aside, the shop has been great - giving me loaner gear until my ordered stuff comes in, so while it's frustrating to not have it yet, the LDS is being very helpful in being sure I can still dive.)

In my most recent conversation with them, the guy at the shop said that if I wanted to he would be able to get the rest of the stuff I ordered and swap out another stainless steel backplate. (He mentioned DiveRight, but they also have Hollis and Hog plates at about the same prices, so I could probably do those as well.)

With that said - considering that I'm still able to dive since they are giving me a loaner BP/W setup in the meantime, are there any reasons I would *not* want to switch to the DiveRight, Hollis, or Hog backplate instead of the Zeagle? Of those four, is there one of them that you personally would recommend, and if so, why? Are there any that you would recommend avoiding?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I have dove, the Zeagle, Dive Rite, Hog and Hollis. My instructor partner, dives a Zeagle backplate with all Hog accessories, and I dive straight Hog, Steel plate for single tanks and a AL for Doubles, expect my Dive Rite Doubles Bladder. All my Students are taught using the Zeagle Express Tech. As mentioned, they are all just bent pieces of metal One vendor might cut the harness slots and crotch strap slot a little different (OMS comes to mind) but I have made OMS stuff work on my Hog. If money was not a thing, and I had all rich clients, I would use the Halcyon rig. It is the one system I rate above others and feels great. That said, it is 2x more expensive then my Hog. If you went with Hog, do not use thier video to setup the gear. Watch Dive Rites and do it that way.

3A%2F%2Fwww.scubaboard.com%2Fcommunity%2Fstyles%2Fapex-light%2Fxenforo%2Favatars%2Favatar_male_m.png

Is that a merkin...?

The one difference in the Zeagle backplate that may or may not matter is the ability to screw the bladder to the plate. If you are using one of the Zeagle horseshoe wings you can attach it with countersunk screws instead of using the straps like the attachment on the Express Tech.

The one difference in the Zeagle backplate that may or may not matter is the ability to screw the bladder to the plate. If you are using one of the Zeagle horseshoe wings you can attach it with countersunk screws instead of using the straps like the attachment on the Express Tech.
You wouldn't need to screw the wing to the plate. Use 2 bronze bushes between the plate and the STA.

I use the Dive Rite SS BP and it is excellent. I believe around 5# 4oz? Or its 5#11oz? Can't remember

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

Though Zeagle wasn't able to get their package shipped out, the LDS was able to locate all the parts individually and hook me up, so I'm all set. (I got the complete Zeagle setup I'd been going for, except I wound up with the Dive Right deluxe harness instead of the Zeagle deluxe harness. I've only gotten it wet once, and that in a pool - but so far I'm really happy with it.

(As a side note, I'm really happy with my LDS. While it was frustrating to have to wait several weeks because Zeagle couldn't manage to meet their repeatedly changing guidance on when to expect the equipment, the LDS simply told me that they would lend me one of their BP/W setups anytime I needed it at no charge until they could get me my gear. It was good customer service.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom