How difficult is it to replace the (big) inflator hose with something longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'd like to increase the hose length of the inflator hose on my BCD. (Not the low pressure hose that provides the air, but the larger hose that channels air into the BCD.) Not sure if this is going to be feasible, or more trouble than it's worth.

The BCDs I've seen all come with a large (often corrugated) hose for inflation.

I wonder about the difficulties of changing them because they seem to be somewhat proprietary in the design of the hose and how thee hose attaches to the BCD.

Is it easy/hard/next to impossible to just switch out the proprietary hose with something generic?

Most basic/cheap BCs I've seen are a matter of (1) remove the zip-ties at both ends (2) remove the hose at both ends (3) install new hose at both ends (4) secure with 1-2 new zip-ties at each end. The basic design is that hose is literally just a hose.

More advanced or pricey ones might do other things, but I don't know how common that is.

example replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085OOJAA

Most basic/cheap BCs I've seen are a matter of (1) remove the zip-ties at both ends (2) remove the hose at both ends (3) install new hose at both ends (4) secure with 1-2 new zip-ties at each end. The basic design is that hose is literally just a hose.

More advanced or pricey ones might do other things, but I don't know how common that is.

example replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085OOJAA

Yup spot on!

DGX has a couple different lengths you can buy.
Corrugated Hoses

If the current DGX ones are the same quality as the five years ago ones then they're good quality

But I wouldn't buy those amazon 7/8" diameter POS

Aren't you going to have an issue with the pull cable inside the corrugated hose if you have a dump valve at the top of the hose (shoulder connection) if the corrugated hose is longer than metal cable??

Aren't you going to have an issue with the pull cable inside the corrugated hose if you have a dump valve at the top of the hose (shoulder connection) if the corrugated hose is longer than metal cable??
Not all of them has a dump valve as part of the set up.
Depend on brand you can simply replace it with a plain elbow.

I'd like to increase the hose length of the inflator hose on my BCD. (Not the low pressure hose that provides the air, but the larger hose that channels air into the BCD.) Not sure if this is going to be feasible, or more trouble than it's worth.

The BCDs I've seen all come with a large (often corrugated) hose for inflation.

I wonder about the difficulties of changing them because they seem to be somewhat proprietary in the design of the hose and how thee hose attaches to the BCD.

Is it easy/hard/next to impossible to just switch out the proprietary hose with something generic?
The common name for that hose is "corrugated hose".
What is the model of your BC?

Replace the cable with fishing line and crimps

and why would you deactivate the shoulder, safest optimal method of emergency dumping

The shoulder dump valve is NOT the easier one to use from my own experience.

Not all of them has a dump valve as part of the set up.
Depend on brand you can simply replace it with a plain elbow.

All recreational BC's have them AFAIK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom