Empty Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m just curious about something. Twice in the last couple of years I’ve been to dive shops to pick up tanks that had supposedly been filled, only to find that they were still empty. Is that common, or just odd luck?

Someone probably forgot to open the valve on the tank or the whip and saw the line pressure. I've done it to myself in the past when filling multiple tanks at different pressures. It was caught right away because I always analyze, check pressure with a checker, and label. Now when I fill I make a point of verifying each valve is fully opened/closed at multiple points.

Never happened here. Someone needs to pay attention when "filling" them up.

It happens sometimes, I've seen shops set up empty tanks for rentals on boats, and when I worked at a shop we always threw in a spare one or two tanks incase of any type of issue. Two times in a few years does seem to be a bit much. In most technical diving shops where you pay by the cubic foot, you get fills while you wait and that eliminates the risk.

I’ve had my share of short fills, mostly back in the Midwest, but no, I don’t recall ever picking up a tank the shop said was full but it hadn’t been filled at all.

I use dust boots on my valves as my tanks live in an outdoor garage with questionable sealing.
The shop I take my tanks to took the sign of a dust cap on as a tank that has been filled. Tank was not filled, as soon as I picked it up I knew it was short.

I use dust boots on my valves as my tanks live in an outdoor garage with questionable sealing.
The shop I take my tanks to took the sign of a dust cap on as a tank that has been filled. Tank was not filled, as soon as I picked it up I knew it was short.

Perhaps that's what happened to me. Not being a tankmaster like yourself, I can't pick up a tank and tell if it's full, but it's something to aspire to!

I’m just curious about something. Twice in the last couple of years I’ve been to dive shops to pick up tanks that had supposedly been filled, only to find that they were still empty. Is that common, or just odd luck?
It's common. But its a divers responsibility to check. Never be intimidated by dive shop personnel. Always ask for a pressure test. If their attitude is poor, look elsewhere.

Forgot to mention you can make the classic joke:
"Hey, can you give me a gauge to check this tank? I don't think it's filled. Weighs about the same as when I dropped it off and I asked you guys to make sure it had 3000 pounds in it!"

People with less sense of humor will point out that air does have a weight and you could use that to measure if the tank was filled. In a dive shop, it was really common to tap the tank against the ground and hear the sound, and tell if it was full or empty. Not precise, just a 'go/no go' thing.

Dive shop in Tobermory (no longer in business) did that to me a few years back.... Really pissed me off... Saved by a guy that elected to sit out on one of the dives. Cost me some beers.

I will share some "blame" as it was a rush to get the tanks for the morning dive (dropped the afternoon before) and they barely open in time for the morning charter departure. I didn't ask to verify pressure...

Back
Top Bottom