Fin selection - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are absolutely right, i wish to plan to go dry but its really expensive in Turkey. If u want to buy a good Drysuit you have to pay all of x8 minimum salary of Turkey... Unfortunately.

Ok, I understand you, really. I wish you good luck!

Anyway, keep in mind that serious tec diving can be very expensive. Safe options are diving helium OC or buy a rebreather. Some people use air up to 60 or even 70+ m depth, but the scientific community tends to dislike this approach.

Probably the best solution for you is to first find a good job, and then to think about tec. I am limited to normoxic trimix right now, and I know that without a career jump I will not proceed with hypoxic or rebreather :)

I am going to the school of the commercial diving university in Turkey,its on blacksea, Water temperature is 8 Celcius to 16 Celcius in winter, 18 Celcius to 27 Celcius in Summer.

It is unrealistic to dive wet at 8°C, you would die of hypothermia. But I guess that commercial school will provide you with appropriate suits for that

Get the Jets, tribe and F1are the same fin and very very heavy, RK’s are pretty popular and the HD are a good option.

sizing of Jets are not much more difficult to figure out than any other fin, best with any option to find someone with a pair and try them on your feet with whatever shoe you’ll be wearing.

Ok, I understand you, really. I wish you good luck!

Anyway, keep in mind that serious tec diving can be very expensive. Safe options are diving helium OC or buy a rebreather. Some people use air up to 60 or even 70+ m depth, but the scientific community tends to dislike this approach.

Probably the best solution for you is to first find a good job, and then to think about tec. I am limited to normoxic trimix right now, and I know that without a career jump I will not proceed with hypoxic or rebreather :)

It is unrealistic to dive wet at 8°C, you would die of hypothermia. But I guess that commercial school will provide you with appropriate suits for that
Yes,they are using air up to 60-70 meters but its really dangerous especially for oxygen toxicity... Thanks for helping and your time.Tec diving is really expensive i need to do it step by step

Get the Jets, tribe and F1are the same fin and very very heavy, RK’s are pretty popular and the HD are a good option.

sizing of Jets are not much more difficult to figure out than any other fin, best with any option to find someone with a pair and try them on your feet with whatever shoe you’ll be wearing.
Thanks for feedback, Are tribe and f1 really same fin? Buoyancy,weight,control etc...

Thanks for feedback, Are tribe and f1 really same fin? Buoyancy,weight,control etc...
My understanding is after Hollis sold to Huish they didn’t renew some agreement with the actual maker who started producing them and they do come in some cool colors and patterns, I was tempted but I really dislike my F1’s in use so I just couldn’t pull the trigger.

My understanding is after Hollis sold to Huish they didn’t renew some agreement with the actual maker who started producing them and they do come in some cool colors and patterns, I was tempted but I really dislike my F1’s in use so I just couldn’t pull the trigger.
Thanks

I didn't like the Apeks fins I tried. They are to soft. I haven't tried the HD ones.
For wet, I recommend Scubapro Go Sport. They are the same size as the jet fins, just neutral.

And for dry, I use a chinese copy of Poseidon Trident fins. Served me well so far. but they do have some strange sizing.
they are super deep and not quite wide. But they do the job.

I did try the Xdeep fins, the medium ones and they work great. Like a charm.

For wet, I recommend Scubapro Go Sport. They are the same size as the jet fins, just neutral.

Are they as rigid as jetfins? What about frog-, back-, and helicopter-kicks, do these fins work well in this regard?

I did try the Xdeep fins, the medium ones and they work great. Like a charm.

Do they work great with dry- or with wet-suits?

Are they as rigid as jetfins? What about frog-, back-, and helicopter-kicks, do these fins work well in this regard?

Not as stiff as jetfins, but stiffer than Avanti Quattros and Apkes RK3's. I usually frog kick, and they're much more comfortable than my jetfins copies. And are easier for back and helicopter kicks since they're lighter.

Do they work great with dry- or with wet-suits?

I've tried them with wet suit. But I've got the feeling they'd work great with nepren booties on drysuits. And OK with rock boots/rubber boots if you upsize.

I honestly think @Marie13 gave the best advice. Many of these fins are of a similar category, but as you can tell from many responses, they are not the same.

Fit is important as you want your foot deep and snug (not tight} in the foot pocket so the fin feels like an extension to your foot.

Weight is important depending on your exposure protection and personal buoyancy.

Get as many "try dives" with as many fins as you can, and with the advice of your instructor.

Back
Top Bottom