Help needed analyzing a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the graph as in the red portion you are diving with a ceiling, during his safety stop the ceiling was cleared, making it a defacto deco stop.

In the screenshot, I can see a "32 min".

Was it the total dive time? And max depth 39m?
The 32 minutes only refers to the pointer that you can put anywhere in the chart to investigate. I don't have my friend's iPhone so I can't change it. All I have are the screenshots. The total time was definitely 33 minutes.

You were one minute or less to deco on your first 40.5m dive with a 40m depth limit as a student. You were concerned ou went into deco as your DC had you do a deco stop before the safety stop. Have I been in deco without knowing it? No. Have I gone into deco on an NDL planned dive? Yes. A diver with 100 dives over 5 years may not be fully learned about his DC and NDL and other things. I've had to explain TTS to a number of divers. They have nice computers but fail to know what each thing means. So yes a diver can have a DC and not understand what it tells them.

Most computers will lock you out if you avoid a deco obligation. My Shearwater will not as it is not a baby sitter and no audio alarms as well. Every diver should read their DC manual and not just once only but several times. I've been bored from not diving so I have been sitting around planning dives on air and nitrox some within NDL and some deco dives. I plan with different sac rates to see how many liters of air I need. Different size tanks with different fills taken into account.

I can plan with different GF for deco and get different results for bottom times. What DC is your friend using? I did not look at the graphs yet.
Seriously, you remember my first 40 meters dive? :)

Seriously, you remember my first 40 meters dive? :)

Yup you boasted about it as a newbie. Go back to that experience. Did you understand everything then? Does your friend understand his DC and what it is telling him. I doubt he went into deco but cannot be certain without a dive log showing depth and time like the ones I post. Total dive time 39 minutes and time to descend and he has his fast ascent from 24m to 4m. BCD normally have 3 purge systems inflator hose, should and rear right purge valve. Did he say he ascended in horizontal or vertical position? I guess if he lost buoyancy he was probably in the vertical position. Lots of factors in knowing how to control your ascent. You see the video I posted I am deliberately ascending very slowly.

You were one minute or less to deco on your first 40.5m dive with a 40m depth limit as a student. You were concerned ou went into deco as your DC had you do a deco stop before the safety stop. Have I been in deco without knowing it? No. Have I gone into deco on an NDL planned dive? Yes. A diver with 100 dives over 5 years may not be fully learned about his DC and NDL and other things. I've had to explain TTS to a number of divers. They have nice computers but fail to know what each thing means. So yes a diver can have a DC and not understand what it tells them.

Most computers will lock you out if you avoid a deco obligation. My Shearwater will not as it is not a baby sitter and no audio alarms as well. Every diver should read their DC manual and not just once only but several times. I've been bored from not diving so I have been sitting around planning dives on air and nitrox some within NDL and some deco dives. I plan with different sac rates to see how many liters of air I need. Different size tanks with different fills taken into account.

I can plan with different GF for deco and get different results for bottom times. What DC is your friend using? I did not look at the graphs yet.
I agree about reading the DC manual several times. But honestly, I am pretty sure that 90% of the divers don't. Once, I met with a diver who told me that I should not dive until my SAT counter was not at 0. Another one told me that PLAN menu was not dynamic and that it was not updated based on previous dives. And the guy had several thousands dives under his belt and was an instructor.

The 32 minutes only refers to the pointer that you can put anywhere in the chart to investigate. I don't have my friend's iPhone so I can't change it. All I have are the screenshots. The total time was definitely 33 minutes.

The dive was not very aggressive, I do not remember the deco limits for air at 40m, but maybe this dive was within NDL... I would double-check if the computer provided good information, maybe it is not working well

Yup you boasted about it as a newbie. Go back to that experience. Did you understand everything then? Does your friend understand his DC and what it is telling him. I doubt he went into deco but cannot be certain without a dive log showing depth and time like the ones I post. Total dive time 39 minutes and time to descend and he has his fast ascent from 24m to 4m. BCD normally have 3 purge systems inflator hose, should and rear right purge valve. Did he say he ascended in horizontal or vertical position? I guess if he lost buoyancy he was probably in the vertical position. Lots of factors in knowing how to control your ascent. You see the video I posted I am deliberately ascending very slowly.
I watched your video several times and even from other threads.

I agree about reading the DC manual several times. But honestly, I am pretty sure that 90% of the divers don't. Once, I met with a diver who told me that I should not dive until my SAT counter was not at 0. Another one told me that PLAN menu was not dynamic and that it was not updated based on previous dives. And the guy had several thousands dives under his belt and was an instructor.

Well don't buy a Shearwater Perdix if you are not interested in a thorough read of the manuals and learn the setups you can DIY and know what each thing means. I'm basically a recreational diver but that is no excuse for not knowing my own DC and its functions.

The dive was not very aggressive, I do not remember the deco limits for air at 40m, but maybe this dive was within NDL... I would double-check if the computer provided good information, maybe it is not working well

Well is the DC in default mode or has it been changed? Another thing we do not know as this can affect NDL times shown. Does the owner even know?

I agree about reading the DC manual several times. But honestly, I am pretty sure that 90% of the divers don't.

I hope this is not true. If you meet these divers, and they are not newbies, avoid them.

Once, I met with a diver who told me that I should not dive until my SAT counter was not at 0. Another one told me that PLAN menu was not dynamic and that it was not updated based on previous dives. And the guy had several thousands dives under his belt and was an instructor.

I did not understand any of these examples... what is a SAT counter? And what is the PLAN menu?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom