Can you dive wet in Iceland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to be in Iceland in July, and would like to get in a dive, specifically the "touch the two continents" dive. I have dived dry, and do not like it. I have dived wet in New England in 40*F water. Is wet an option, or is dry the only option?

You "can". It isn't recommended, and you "may" not.

Regards,
Someone who hardly ever dives in >15C water (sometimes down to 4-ish degrees C) and always dives dry. Except on vacation.

what don't you like about diving dry? If you only did it once that's not near enough. Takes 15+ dives depending on the person to get it down. I only dive dry as we dive great lakes, quarries, etc. So limited in Ohio. I only dive wet when going warm :)

what don't you like about diving dry? If you only did it once that's not near enough. Takes 15+ dives depending on the person to get it down. I only dive dry as we dive great lakes, quarries, etc. So limited in Ohio. I only dive wet when going warm :)

It's not a matter of not getting it down, I didn't have any trouble with the gear, I just find a dry suit uncomfortable/unnatural, if that makes sense. The cold water in the North Atlantic doesn't bother me wet.

It's not a matter of not getting it down, I didn't have any trouble with the gear, I just find a dry suit uncomfortable/unnatural, if that makes sense. The cold water in the North Atlantic doesn't bother me wet.
Is it possible that the drysuit you used was a poor fit for you?
I have never had a good experience with rental suits, but my own fits like a dream and I've never found it to be uncomfortable.

Just found out that because I'm 60+, I need a physician's note as well. I might schedule a trip to a whisky bar instead :wink:

A member of my club wanted to dive it 2 years ago. Even as an instructor who teaches drysuit diving they wanted additional proof from me as the Diving Officer before they could dive the two continents. This was because they didn’t take their drysuit certification with them.

If you are talking about Silfra, I just presented my drysuit certification and there were no issues.
I went with dive.is in July 2018.

I already dove the cold water in the Atlantic wet, but Silfra was 2ºC. It was numbing cold. I could not feel my face after 30 sec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom