Level 4 do not travel alert by US State Dept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
anyone else reconsidering travel to Maldives? US State Department website has Maldives at Level 4 "do not travel" citing terrorism attacks at travel hubs and even remote atolls

you should check out the travel restrictions on the US from other countries. puts things in perspective.

keep your head on a swivel, don't go where you don't belong, don't appear like you're worth any ransom, and you should be fine.

travelling anywhere is usually safer than going to a Walmart or church here in the states. or, for that matter, just being brown.

not trying to be political. just saying that things are often overblown on those state department travel alerts.

The state department travel alerts are there more to inform the traveling citizen that if they go there and something happens, don’t look for the government to help out a whole bunch. If one were to follow their guidelines, then all international travel should be be reconsidered.

Is any type of trip insurance a consideration? Would your policy have a condition stating that you are not covered under a high level travel warning? It was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Update - I just looked at a policy I'm looking at for a cruise and it has language like this:

14. A terrorist event happens within 100 miles of any U.S. or foreign city you are traveling to during your trip, as indicated on your original itinerary. THIS IS COVERED

The following condition applies:
a. A terrorist event must not have occurred within 25 miles of that city any time in the 30 days prior to your policy’s Coverage Effective Date. ASSUMING THIS WOULD NOT BE COVERED

Sorry I didn't read this in time to put in my previous post. One more statement in the policy I was looking at - another exclusion not covered.

Acts, travel alerts/bulletins, or prohibitions by any government or public authority, except as expressly covered under Trip Cancellation Coverage or Trip Interruption Coverage;

The warning for the Maldives has been there for at least a month. I've had 2 different coworker and their families go there and a few friends and their families go as well in the last 3 to 4 weeks. None had any issues. But we're living in a CAT 4 country (Bahrain) and traveling to a CAT 4 country (Maldives) so it cancels out the Covid issues.

you should check out the travel restrictions on the US from other countries. puts things in perspective.

keep your head on a swivel, don't go where you don't belong, don't appear like you're worth any ransom, and you should be fine.

travelling anywhere is usually safer than going to a Walmart or church here in the states. or, for that matter, just being brown.

not trying to be political. just saying that things are often overblown on those state department travel alerts.
In nyc being asian is pretty dangerous now

I didn't see any warning for Maldives (not covid related) that would keep me or my standard travel insurance from going to Maldives

Back
Top Bottom