the sweet spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

150',200',300', Cave, rebreather. It's an endless list. My mother always said: 'Never say Never'.

Okay. Rebreather. CAVE rebreather. Never!

hi OTF

maybe our dive profiles don't offer me anything enticing
dive to 45 to 75 meters for x minutes then deco for what seems like x times 0.75 minutes

appealing to some but not me

I've simulated deco stops to fifteens minutes in the past and felt like suicide was a good option at that point

I spoke with this deco diver and I mentioned how I cannot digest the idea of decompressing for thirty minutes after a 75 min dive and he said

really? its great
I love spacing out

lucky him

I would opt for suicide at that point

another diver said they watch movies on their mobile phones to pass the time
good idea but not for me

hence the subject of this thread

the sweeeeeeeeeeeet spot

between going deep but not spacing out for more than fifteen minutes

I’d recommend sticking a fork in your eye. Still painful, but less permanent than death. :poke:

a big blue decompression for more than fifteen minutes would be very boring :)

Kerstin and I find plenty to amuse us on the deco / safety stops.

Plenty of things float by to photograph out in the blue

full.jpg

A challenge is to get a sharp shot of this Cavolinia uncincata

full.jpg

did I say I don't intend on getting certified?
did I imply I'm looking for short cuts?

I suggest you spend a minute to read the original post
Really!
You ought to read what you had written first.
15mins max deco time.

What diving course have you done would qualify you to do that?
So you have to do a respective course!
If you had done that course then you would know the answer. Very simple.

my qualm with deco dives is the time spent decompressing is sometimes 50% of bottom time

if I dive for 45 minutes
I cannot fathom spending 30 mins at deco

its just not for me

thats a good point and alas, I doubt we have any sort of deep wall dives here

the majority of 40+ are out in the ocean

As others have stated, there are some pretty sweet wall dives up north in Musandam, where you may have a 30 min TTS (time to surface) when you leave the bottom but you don't spend a single minute hanging in the blue, as you just dive shallower and shallower and end up continuing your dive long after your deco has cleared.

About the 1:1 or whatever ratio of deco:bottom time you have been reading about, remember that that is total ascent time. From a 45m dive, plan on at least 1 minute for every 3m so thats >15 minutes ascending, so a 30 min 45m dive with 30 min total deco may only have 2-3 minutes at each "stop". There are usually a couple at 21m, which isn't boring because gas switching for you and your team will keep you occupied for a bit, then usually a couple at 6m or so, please note this is all dependent on chosen deco algorithm, gases etc, so don't take this as a dive plan, just an indication that there is a lot less "hanging around at a stop" than a raw TTS number would lead one to believe.

If you drop me a line I am more than happy to chat about the various options available in this neck of the woods regarding courses and training, there are some good folks based out of Dubai (and also some ....less good ones). Abu Dhabi is very short on tech Instructors, to my knowledge I am the only one in the Emirate (as far as I have heard of)

Oh and another thing, there are no "safety stops" in tech, so when comparing your current dives with potential deco dives, remember you are already hanging around shallow for 3-5 minutes on the NDL dives.

Kerstin and I find plenty to amuse us on the deco / safety stops.

Plenty of things float by to photograph out in the blue

View attachment 660688

A challenge is to get a sharp shot of this Cavolinia uncincata

View attachment 660689

You guys are not only a match made in heaven but lucky

I just cannot hang in the blue for more than ten minutes

You know gulf Arabs, Egyptians, and Levantine go to the barber at least twice a week for grooming?
I haven't been in almost two decades. What takes an hour (including commute) was torture. I groom at home.
Just cannot hang loose for more than ten to fifteen minutes. Surface or subsurface.

Really!
You ought to read what you had written first.
15mins max deco time.

What diving course have you done would qualify you to do that?
So you have to do a respective course!
If you had done that course then you would know the answer. Very simple.

Shuuuuutaaahp and read my initial and following posts again :p

Shuuuuutaaahp and read my initial and following posts again :p
You start by asking where is the sweet spot, which presumes there is one.
There is not one.
You say you can't tolerate more than 15 mins deco. people have given you dive plans for how to mix depth, BT, and gas mix to yield no more than 15 mins deco.
You ignore that input.
What is it you are really looking for? You say you can't tolerate just being there in the blue.
Well, I can't tolerate your posting an absurdity and then blowing off every attempt to help.
If you want to know about deco plans and how to adapt them to your personal constraints, then get the damn training.

Reactions: OTF
As others have stated, there are some pretty sweet wall dives up north in Musandam, where you may have a 30 min TTS (time to surface) when you leave the bottom but you don't spend a single minute hanging in the blue, as you just dive shallower and shallower and end up continuing your dive long after your deco has cleared.

About the 1:1 or whatever ratio of deco:bottom time you have been reading about, remember that that is total ascent time. From a 45m dive, plan on at least 1 minute for every 3m so thats >15 minutes ascending, so a 30 min 45m dive with 30 min total deco may only have 2-3 minutes at each "stop". There are usually a couple at 21m, which isn't boring because gas switching for you and your team will keep you occupied for a bit, then usually a couple at 6m or so, please note this is all dependent on chosen deco algorithm, gases etc, so don't take this as a dive plan, just an indication that there is a lot less "hanging around at a stop" than a raw TTS number would lead one to believe.

If you drop me a line I am more than happy to chat about the various options available in this neck of the woods regarding courses and training, there are some good folks based out of Dubai (and also some ....less good ones). Abu Dhabi is very short on tech Instructors, to my knowledge I am the only one in the Emirate (as far as I have heard of)

Oh and another thing, there are no "safety stops" in tech, so when comparing your current dives with potential deco dives, remember you are already hanging around shallow for 3-5 minutes on the NDL dives.

Thank you
I'll certainly reach out to you.

Ive had this discussion with three deep dive guys.
One was a gentleman. And I would not hesitate to learn from him.
The other held a very vocal grudge against me for not doing my solo certificate with him - we'd only met once and when he found out I didn't do it with him he began to give me a lecture on how he doesn't take on half-baked divers. Which is when I cut it short.
Talk about small mindedness & petty grudges...
The third appeared to have no interest in teaching?

Sorry not to rant but just expressing what's, somewhat, hindered my progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom