Diving after diagnosed panic disorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, not sure where to post but this seems an okay spot. So it’s been a over year without diving. You know covid of course but in October last year I also was diagnosed with a panic disorder, anxiety and agoraphobia due to a high amount of stress (so I did not get a panic attack in the water). I’ve recovered pretty well but it’s never gone gone. so I’m thinking of going back into the water. I miss diving so much but a part of me is also afraid to get an attack in the water. That’s obviously dangerous…

I’ve never been scared of the water. I love all water sports. I currently still swim a lot and never have issues.

anyone has the same experience? Will I ever be able to dive again? Advice/tips are welcome.

This is an answer that you can only get from a discussion with your doctor. Medicated and controlled, you and your doctor might feel comfortable with you back in the water, but it's not something anyone on the internet can advise you on. I have friends on both sides of this - one takes a little sertraline and is still diving, one takes a little sertraline and no way in hell is she going back in the water.

Yes, as you know true panic and diving do not mix. Certainly a situation where CO2 can build up may predispose to a panic attack. However, some panic disorder is situation bound. This is a complex situation and really you need to discuss it with your Dr/Psychiatrist/Psychologist, rather than via the internet. Too often people think that an anxiety attack is panic.

Hi all, not sure where to post but this seems an okay spot. So it’s been a over year without diving. You know covid of course but in October last year I also was diagnosed with a panic disorder, anxiety and agoraphobia due to a high amount of stress (so I did not get a panic attack in the water). I’ve recovered pretty well but it’s never gone gone. so I’m thinking of going back into the water. I miss diving so much but a part of me is also afraid to get an attack in the water. That’s obviously dangerous…

I’ve never been scared of the water. I love all water sports. I currently still swim a lot and never have issues.

anyone has the same experience? Will I ever be able to dive again? Advice/tips are welcome.

Is this situational? Agoraphobia implies that you're avoiding situations that could cause you to panic.

Best regards,
DDM

I’m thinking of going back into the water. I miss diving so much but a part of me is also afraid to get an attack in the water. That’s obviously dangerous…

Will I ever be able to dive again?

Sounds like under-water might be therapeutic for you....it is for me. Maybe try it in the pool first...maybe with another diver, or an instructor.

Remember some meds alter the convulsion threshold...some lower it & that would be a consideration if taking anti-depressants or some sort of med to "fix" the problem.

I am guessing most meds propensity to altering that threshold have not been evaluated. A good friend who is a hyperbaric doc who did his fellowship in hyperbaric medicine at Duke explained this to me a few years ago.

Maybe @Duke Dive Medicine can help out.

Things to consider:

Medication - is the medication you are taking contraindicated for diving? DAN may have an answer.

Anxiety / Panic triggers - could diving be a trigger or a relief? Best to test in a very safe and controlled environment.

Get some real answers.

I'm in the same situation, anxiety, depression and stress that I thought initially was situation-ally caused but seems to be lingering. I mostly stopped diving because of covid. I do plan on diving and snorkeling at the first opportunity but hopefully at first it'll be with trusted family and friends in locations I'm familiar with. I'm less concerned about the diving than about the travel stress. Baby steps for now, with more practice and training and easy dives. Eventually more challenging dives and solo travel if all goes well.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks everyone! I will definitely consult with my doc/psychologist when the times comes. Luckily I’m not on any meds and have not been during the recovery process. I just wanted to hear some other experiences cause you are never the only one.

@<*)))>< sorry to hear you are experiencing the same things. I totally agree, the travel is also more concerning for me. I hope you will be able to dive or snorkel very soon! :)

Hi @Kaat , it sounds like you have a good plan. I'm interested to hear how your mental health practitioner approaches this.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom