Personal Locator beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI ssssnake529
The manual for the InReach Mini is a bit vague on how to send text messages unless it is paired to your smart phone. If I wanted to send a custom message, do I need to use the up and down buttons on the side to scroll through the alphabet?.

HI ssssnake529
The manual for the InReach Mini is a bit vague on how to send text messages unless it is paired to your smart phone. If I wanted to send a custom message, do I need to use the up and down buttons on the side to scroll through the alphabet?.
Yes. Like an old school mobile phone.

Yes. Like an old school mobile phone.

Yep. This is true.

However, you can prepare custom messages in advance so you don't have to type them on the spot.

I have several messages that I use regularly that I have prepared in advance so that I don't have to type them in.

(Running late; Everything is OK; On my way home; etc.)

However, if you wanted to create a completely new message (for example to communicate details of an accident or emergency,) you would have to type them in on the inReach using the screen and keypad, side scrolling and picking out letters one at a time. (There is an autocomplete feature that speeds this process up a little bit, but it's still not super fast.)

Sounds like fun, cold hands, wet suit gloves, what could go wrong

It's true. If you want to carry on a text conversation, it's a bit clunky.

However, the SOS function is activated by pressing a single button. It could easily be accomplished with cold hands, gloves, etc. Sending the prepared messages is not much more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom