Lost my camera on Paradise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to lock or protect certain pictures so that when you do the Delete All function they aren't deleted. If you do an in-camera card format, however, they will be deleted.
Yep, I have that photo protected on every card so I can Delete All except it.

Some years ago, my late partner and I had a somewhat difficult exit from the Maori in Malta.

I almost knocked my teeth out, and she was stuck half in and half out hanging on to a pole.
I finally recovered, got out and my scuba set off, and was able to assist her.

Once we where safely out of the water we surveyed the damage. I had some abrasions, mild concussion, and a mouthful of blood.
She had a missing camera (her 'old' Sea and Sea film camera), and her digital camera was no longer working (it never recovered from the 'shock' if suffered).
The Sea and Sea lanyard had failed.

We emailed all the dive shops on Malta, and where subsequently contacted by one of them, they had found the camera wedge in the rocks near to the Maori exit point. So, we got the camera back (some friends of ours where able to pick the camera up for us).

My partner, did however, buy herself a new digital camera, housing, macro and wide angle lenses, and a strobe. - It was the excuse she needed (she had been umming and arghing for some time about investing in a new camera).

You have my sympathies.

Best of luck

Gareth

I know that homeowners insurance covers such, but wouldn't the deductible make that fruitless? You know they're going to depreciate the camera, and if they do play, increase rates.

Seems I recall this is a relatively new toy and you might be able to claim under credit card for 90 days. About 7 years ago my gf and I bought new Gopros at the last minute and she lost hers at the end of dive 1, day 1. We got them a day before the trip and she didn't even open hers until the night before the dive. She claimed under credit card and was fully reimbursed. Took a few months though.

Seems I recall this is a relatively new toy and you might be able to claim under credit card for 90 days. About 7 years ago my gf and I bought new Gopros at the last minute and she lost hers at the end of dive 1, day 1. We got them a day before the trip and she didn't even open hers until the night before the dive. She claimed under credit card and was fully reimbursed. Took a few months though.

Credit card company paying for lost camera? I find that hard to believe.

Credit card company paying for lost camera? I find that hard to believe.

AMEX PLAT - yep you are cover for that

"Sometimes your favorite new purchase gets stolen, accidentally damaged, or lost. But when you use your Eligible Card for Covered Purchases, your Membership can help protect therefor up to 90 days from the Covered Purchase date."
  • Pay with card
  • Up to 10k per covered purchase
  • Up to 50k per eligible card

What insurance covers this unless you have a separate policy?

Most homeowner policies would require the item (lost camera) to be 'scheduled' and an additional premium paid - ours does. No need for a separate policy - just an add-on that comes with limitations.

My HO policy references, "Cameras and equipment, as scheduled". This policy also has a provision for covering, "newly acquired property".

Have a chat about coverages with your insurance sales rep - always a good idea to do on an annual basis.

Aside from the fact that we claimed and collected on it, here's the policy for all Chase cards and I bet pretty much any other credit cards.

Chase offers purchase protection on all of its cards. Some eligible cards also come with return protection and extended warranty coverage.
Everything you need to know about Chase purchase protection | CreditCards.com

I think I’ve had all components for more than 120 days. But I think the following paragraph might be problematic anyway. (Always good to research options. I used my Southwest Priority Rewards card for some of it. )

“Note that purchase insurance is secondary coverage and only kicks in when your primary insurance, such as homeowner’s insurance, has been exhausted.”

I had a fitness watch stolen from the mailroom so Chase credit card insurance said, since it was never in my possession, they don't cover it. I guess I fell in a very unique limbo situation, property stolen, but not quite "owned".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom