Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be a tease, but I specifically asked what I could share and that wasn’t it. And David reads this thread.

Definitely tends to keep the clicks coming. Does Pete have a click-generation-discount arrangement for you?

What is that thing where a bunch of Scubaboard people all go to the same dive resort? Probably gonna be one of those for the trial (if there is a trial).

I just asked him.

Never.

I didn’t think he had, but I wanted to ask.

Ok, I stand corrected. That was the rumour years ago, and it wasn't pretty. :D

Did Gull have drysuits for rent? Did they put Linnea and the other student in contact with the drysuit seller because they didn’t have drysuits for rent at all (or the ones they had were the wrong size) or because they didn’t WANT to rent to them?

The Complaint implies that the facilitation of the drysuit sale was a workaround.

124. Prior to and on November 1, 2020, the Gull Dive Defendants had a duty to assess whether Linnea was competent and sufficiently trained, certified and skilled to use a dry suit while scuba diving.

125. Rather than rent a dry suit to an uncertified Linnea, in violation of the PADI RRA Membership Standards, the Gull Dive Defendants facilitated the sale of a used dry suit to Linnea from a private seller, Defendant, Kendra Potter.

And then it goes on to lay out how they gave contact information to facilitate the sale, and then checked on the sale.

The Complaint implies that the facilitation of the drysuit sale was a workaround.

124. Prior to and on November 1, 2020, the Gull Dive Defendants had a duty to assess whether Linnea was competent and sufficiently trained, certified and skilled to use a dry suit while scuba diving.

125. Rather than rent a dry suit to an uncertified Linnea, in violation of the PADI RRA Membership Standards, the Gull Dive Defendants facilitated the sale of a used dry suit to Linnea from a private seller, Defendant, Kendra Potter.

Thanks, I’d forgotten that.

What is that thing where a bunch of Scubaboard people all go to the same dive resort? Probably gonna be one of those for the trial (if there is a trial).
Invasion? I'll pass. Dont wish to see th grieving family in the courtroom. A sumnary will be fine for me.

So the plaintiffs attorney in this case was the instructor's attorney in that case. And there were shenanigans. When PADI was dismissed as a defendant, they came back in on the side of the plaintiff, and IIRC Hornsby got in some trouble with the judge? But man, that was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy. I only remember because the instructor's insurance company was my insurance company and I had a chat at DEMA with the broker to discuss it. I clearly remember shenanigans though.

Not sure of all this litigious mess, but clearly attorneys get paid by the billable hours, so it's fair to say the more salacious and ambiguous the initial proceedings are, the more money the attorneys make, regardless of outcomes. Inconsistent initial filings that spring more questions than answers are more profitable than clear, straightforward facts where professional reviews of action render a quick and definitive resolution, resulting in quick closure for the case and the families.....

I'm not even sure that's possible.
I’ve sometimes been amazed at how many layers of fail there are leading up to an event. You wonder how nobody noticed how much of a total CF everything had become long before the actual event.

I’ve sometimes been amazed at how many layers of fail there are leading up to an event. You wonder how nobody noticed how much of a total CF everything had become long before the actual event.
that there is the essence of the problem- clearly they had a normalisation that was so far removed from accepted standards that they weren't even looking for, or had any checklists to detect anomalies - and secondly, (and this is the part that me makes me so angry) people come to 'professionals ' not only for correct training but also because they choose to put their trust in them, not only ensuring they get the training they require but also to keep them safe. A trust that resulted in the ultimate betrayal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom