Lockdown Impacts / Implications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any thoughts / input on the impacts / implications of this?
Praying for health and wellness for everyone in Quintana Roo.

Tulum and Cancun could go into ‘imminent’ lockdown — even as travelers are flocking there - The Points Guy

NEWS
Tulum and Cancun could go into ‘imminent’ lockdown — even as travelers are flocking there
Untitled.jpg
Victoria M. Walker
4h ago
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

THE TPG APP IS COMING SOON!
Join the waitlist to be one of the first to access the app when it launches.

JOIN THE WAITLIST

With its proximity to the United States, cheap flights on multiple airlines and relaxed entry requirements, Americans have traveled to destinations across Mexico throughout the pandemic.

And few areas may be as popular with sun-seeking tourists as Quintana Roo, the Mexican state on the Caribbean coast that’s home to such iconic resort getaways as Cancun, Playa del Carmen in the Riviera Maya and Tulum.

Unfortunately, travelers with upcoming trips to Quintana Roo may see their plans in jeopardy as the state’s governor debates a lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

A big question is whether they'd let fully vaccinated Americans keep coming. That's still hit tourism...excluding families with younger kids. But it's better than no tourism at all.

While anything is possible , a major lockdown is unlikely at this point. Neither Cozumel nor Quintana Roo nor Mexico can afford it. The Governor is threatening lockdowns in an effort to keep people from slacking up on Covid protections since as he noted the case counts have been going up for 5 weeks now. This trend likely includes Cozumel—I gather Cozumel doctors were busy two weeks ago and I would imagine it is worse now. While always a possibility, the politicians will likely avoid another lockdown unless things are totally out of control. It looks like hospitalizations are still only ~1/3rd their peak but it does look like social isolations are pretty high (relative to historical numbers ). . Data in Mexico can never be truly trusted (both due to manipulation and bad record keeping ) but it does give you some general idea of where things stand.

For those concerned about visiting given the uptrend in cases—It is pretty easy to minimize your chance of catching Covid in Cozumel if you follow protocols given that most activities are outdoors at a distance. If you ignore masks/social distancing etc clearly there is a fair amount of risk.

upload_2021-5-17_23-40-49.jpeg

Since we now have TWO threads, I will copy over:

Which answer would you like?

The governor of the state clearly and specifically lists Cozumel as orange as decreed by him or whoever at the state level.

The mayor of Cozumel, who is running for reelection said, nah we are going to stay yellow. Campaign events continue.

As for what it means, I just got back and it means about nothing. Snorkel boat were full like normal. Restaurants were doing a decent business. Heck the one night Guidos asked if I had a reservation. I gave him a look and they gave us a table but it was FULL.

Money Bar is like the most serious. Everyone if squirting the hand sanitizer and taking your temp. Money actually has you fill out a form with a symptom check list and fill in your temperature. On day we went for lunch and there was a tourist moto gang at the entrance. I guess because the form guy was in the can or something. I yelled make a hole (not really), got some hand sanitizer, found a seat, and ordered a margarita. (Rocas, sin sal, con Hornitos) I was half way through the first one till the form guy caught up with me..... Oh and they designated one entrance and different exit.

Even red now has recreation activities as essential so they are just supposed to reduce clients, not close. Unless Coz has a real pop in cases, no one is going to listen to, if I had my guess.

Right now for diving this is what they say. I saw full boats, so.....

upload_2021-5-16_15-55-49-png.659538.png

HA! So according to the governor, scuba or snorkeling right now is orange 50% capacity, so a 6 pack should have 3 divers. Or if you want to believe the mayor that says 'nah we are staying yellow', then you should only have 3.6 divers. I saw lots of snorkel boats that would have sank at 100% if they were at 60%. They were PACKED. In the marina looking at the boat I saw loading or unloading, 60% my you-know-what.

So if it went to RED and the Mayor didn't do the wink wink nudge nudge of 'No WE arent really red', what would really change? With all the real problems on the mainland and particularly in Cancun, which just closed a few street because of how many covid people live on them, I don't see Cozumel dive op worrying much about the traffic lights system. That is neither an endorsement or a complaint, just the way it seems to be working.

I mean EVEN if you want to believe the Mayor and not the Governor and believe Cozumel is in yellow, restaurants are supposed to be at 60%. I can tell you a few last week were packed. One, that shall remain, nameless said 'Do you have a reservation?" I said first off, it me, you must be new. Then I said I have like 5-6 of coming. They said 'oh the big table is open' and that was like the only open table.

ALL of them at least checked temps and squirted hand sanitizer. Some still had the shoe disinfectant rug. One has a form to check symptoms and record your name and temperature.

They have offered chance for everyone down to the age of 50 including expats to get the PFIZER vaccine. We have our vaccine, so good for them. Make some money.

However if you are concern, let the op or whatnot know and I am sure they will help the trip meet your needs. We did have a 'private boat' but only because no one else showed up. Plus the Maximus at Scuba with Alison is permitted for 10 divers and NEVER takes more than 8 normally so we always have room.

Talked to a friend again last night in Puerto Morelos. He is a fisherman and his family members work in the hotels. His mom is almost 80 and has been eligible for a vaccine for awhile now. She refused because she has high blood pressure and thinks the vaccine might interact with that and kill her. He is 50, has been eligible for a vaccine for a few weeks now. Keeps telling me he is going to get it but doesn't. His wife is in her 40's. Just opened up to her age group. She says she is going to see what happens to him when he gets the vaccine before she gets it. In the mean time he tells me about the people he knows who have died or are on ventilators.

Single data point, but I suspect it may tell something about the everyday people in Q. Roo.

THE WORLD.

I fixed that for you.....

View attachment 660092
You may be correct. There are a lot of people here that refuse the vaccine. The difference is they are not as afraid of Covid as my Mexican friend is.

You may be correct. There are a lot of people here that refuse the vaccine. The difference is they are not as afraid of Covid as my Mexican friend is.

You know that might be true. Buddy of mine on the island claims 27 people died of the vaccine but they keep it out of the papers because of the mayoral election. I tried to talk to him. He is in his 50 and has a couple issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom