Passport Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vimaldude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We arrived here yesterday and the immigration officer told us to carry our passports when we go for dive or snorkel tours because the police may ask to check them

This seemed odd so I asked our dive shop, ScubaTony, about this and they confirmed that they are checking passports randomly. He said you can take photos of the passport and the immigration form ( the one you need for exit) on your phone and that will work

Anyone know what is going on here? Is there a hightened security alert in place?

We arrived here yesterday and the immigration officer told us to carry our passports when we go for dive or snorkel tours because the police may ask to check them

This seemed odd so I asked our dive shop, ScubaTony, about this and they confirmed that they are checking passports randomly. He said you can take photos of the passport and the immigration form ( the one you need for exit) on your phone and that will work

Anyone know what is going on here? Is there a hightened security alert in place?

The immigration has been doing lots of checks on the island lately because of influx of people overstaying. They have road checks, walk around streets, check businesses.... you are actually supposed to carry the tourist card with you at all times. Best thing to do is either photocopy your passport, tourist card and or take a photo of both and keep on your phone. Leave the originals back at hotel because you dont want to lose those. If you are checked by immigration while they are conducting their stops and you cant produce the documents, there is possibility they detain you as is happening now.

So like A LOT of people live in Cozumel, but only have a tourist visa, so they would go to Belize or something every 6 months. With COVID a lot of people just overstay the visas. To get a temporary or permanent resident visa you have to start in your home country normally. Currently they are running a special for people on expired tourist visas to apply IN Mexico without going home first, pay the fee up from and get a temp resident visa. Seems like the extra enforcement is part of that program to get more people legal again.

We never carry our PR cards or passports with us. I am not losing them! But technically they are supposed to be on you. Of course they are not looking for tourists. They are looking for visa overstays.

You ever want to see a quiet day in the marina, go in when the INM van is there sniffing around!

We never carry our PR cards or passports with us. I am not losing them! But technically they are supposed to be on you.
It sounds like carrying copies or phone photos would be a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up. Headed there this week. I'll keep my documentation handy. :):clearmask:

It sounds like carrying copies or phone photos would be a good idea.

Oh yea, we have them on the phone and I was think of carrying some actual copies, just in case.

Talking to expat friends (illegal overstays) Mexico is currently running an amnesty program for illegal alien overstays off tourist visa's. It's basically a fund raiser for the government with $9K MXN in fees. The checkpoints and checks are an encouragement for those who have not applied for a semi permanent resident visa and are on an expired (180 day) tourist visa to pony up. With Covid economic stress on government revenue they are getting creative.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1EYgEW1-jlMQ2CDJ8GlVvM

Talking to expat friends (illegal overstays) Mexico is currently running an amnesty program for illegal alien overstays off tourist visa's. It's basically a fund raiser for the government with $9K MXN in fees. The checkpoints and checks are an encouragement for those who have not applied for a semi permanent resident visa and are on an expired (180 day) tourist visa to pony up. With Covid economic stress on government revenue they are getting creative.

Its a pretty good deal for all those peeps that live on the island full time but keep getting 180 day tourist visas. Used to be a big thing for everyone run to belize and come back with that border closed, it only really air travel and with covid peeps didnt want to do that either.

it only really air travel and with covid peeps didnt want to do that either.
Some have done that to get vaccinated.

Some have done that to get vaccinated.

YES! Quite a lot of them have now. I know a number of people. I think I even know a Canadian that lives in MX that flew to the US for a vaccine. To my way of thinking that is fine. We seem to have plenty available in lot of places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom