Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, just a few.
Webbing through the bottom slots the wrong way [twist out, most know, some not], Backplate too far down the back [check the height and shoulder straps], crotch strap too tight or loose or on the buckle.

Oh, and the STA and wing that fell apart when doing a stride off a boat, loose wing nuts. [Always check]
I will stop now.
This why I won’t make a STA type bracket anymore that allows people to not use the plate slots.

No STA on my Freedom Plate.

I do have one on my Hog plate, though but I check those wing nuts before every dive. Became a habit (I fiddle with my gear more than chatting up my neighbors). I don't mind tightening them up while under water but it is actually easier to tighten them before you splash with the kit off of you.

Thread’s a little dated but I’ve been pleased with my XDeep Zen aluminum plate. The use of a Y crotch strap is a step up in comfort from another plate I had used. Especially when I was just diving in swim trunks.

The XDeep products are on the pricier end, but it seems finished quite nicely.

If you can find another option that still supports the Y crotch strap it might be worth a look at.

Thread’s a little dated but I’ve been pleased with my XDeep Zen aluminum plate. The use of a Y crotch strap is a step up in comfort from another plate I had used. Especially when I was just diving in swim trunks.

The XDeep products are on the pricier end, but it seems finished quite nicely.

If you can find another option that still supports the Y crotch strap it might be worth a look at.
Especially when scootering!!

I wouldn't say that XDeep is pricier than most.
Considering that the prices are on par with the competitors.

They do look pricier, since they have special backplates/designs.

For instance, my Stealth Tec wing was 550eur, while most of sidemount wings I saw were 600eur or similar.

You can get the basic BP/W for 400eur, which is also the same price as most of BPW.

Their NX line is more pricey then the rest.

Buy second hand and save yourself a fortune.

No need to buy together either. If you see a wing that fits the bill for a good price second hand, go for it.

To answer the original question "Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs". All other things being equal, it's simply marketing.

To answer the original question "Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs". All other things being equal, it's simply marketing.
I'm going to disagree somewhat.

With regard to plates and hardware certainly. Mix and match. I've acquired a number of plates, harnesses and wings over the years from people leaving and passing stuff to me.

For the wing itself I do find some differences. I've used an Apex which punctured (my fault) and was single skin, then a frog, which wore quickly and had stitching start to fail. I moved to the Dive Rite Voyager of which I now have 2 and my wife 1 which have stood up to very harsh use (sitting on a rolling deck exposed to the heat and UV of the Middle East. My oldest being 7 years and while the outer has some indication of age and use there's no real damage

So in this regard I can't agree that all wing materials are equal - but if someone's only making 50 dives a year then it shouldn't be an issue

Had a Halcyon Eclipse come apart at the seams. Halcyon were great and sold me a new cover for a considerable discount, so like new again. Wonder when it'll ever see warm, clear water again...

The SS backplate that my son got from DGX is polished.
Not that it matter, but there are different quality of polish tho. DGX/DiveRite polish level vs Eric’s freedom plate/Halycon polish level, the difference is significant. The later are jewelry like, at least when new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom